Study: The average gamer may be older than you think - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Study: The average gamer may be older than you think

Ever get that nagging feeling that you might be getting too old to be playing video games? Well donít worry, because youíre not. According to a new study released at E3 2011 by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), 72% of America plays video games, and of that chunk of the population 82% are adults. The research was collected from 1,200 nationally representative households that have been identified as owning either or both a video game console or a personal computer used to play gaming software.

Itís interesting to see how prevalent gaming has become, especially among the older crowd. Though it makes sense considering how much it all costs. Further statistics pinpoint the average gamer in America as 37 years old and will have been playing for 13 years.

Teenagers actually comprise a low 18% of players and get muscled out by players over the age of 50. Either teens have better things to do, or are just broke. Teenage boys also get beaten out by women over the age of 18. Though men still make up the majority of game players and buyers, there isnít much of a gap between the genders as more than 40% of the pie are women.

Social networking sites have helped bring in many new gamers. Ease of use also contributes to the rise in numbers, with more than half of gamers playing on their phones or on handheld devices. Gaming is also a very social activity with 65% who play with another person.

The survey may make you wonder if kids even play video games anymore, but the point is that games have have become more inclusive. Children, parents and grandparents are all playing togetheró57% of parents believe games encourage their family to spend time together. Parents have become more involved in their kidsí game play by joining in weekly, and nine out of ten parents monitor game content.

According to Michael D. Gallagher, president and CEO of the ESA, ďTechnological advancements and terrific entertainment experiences in our industry make it possible for people of all ages to enjoy games at home or on the go, and the creativity of our developers and publishers leads to an ever-expanding variety of video games to choose from in both digital and physical formats.Ē

I knew the average age but there are some interesting facts in here.

Got tech news you'd like to see featured on Tech-Forums? Send me a PM!
- Shae Blackburm - Abstract Hero -
Old 06-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Study: The average gamer may be older than you think

I don't believe teenage boys are muscled out by female adults. I just can't believe it. Maybe there are more of them that play games, but I bet you if you compare total hours played, teenage boys have it by a mile.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Ram: 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I've seen females play hour by hour just like boys. But yes, they are not as common.
__________________ Steam Account
Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

19 years 364 days is as old as a teenager can get, excluding a leap year. I've been playing computer games a lot longer than that.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

You've gotta remember too that the games you're thinking of are probably not the games these groups are playing. E.g. MW2 I'm gonna say will have a LOT more teenage boys than adult girls playing. On the flip side a game like My Little Pony: A Rainbow Adventure is probably gonna be the complete opposite (I hope...)
When you average out those stats then I wouldn't be surprised at the results this study has arrived at.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

I think most people forget that playing Mario on your DS and playing Farmville are both included. I think that just about covers adult women. My mom between The Sims and her DS logs some good game time.
- AMD FX8320 @ 4.2Ghz - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb -
- Asus Strix GTX 970 - Corsair Neutron GTX - Corsair TX 750 -
- Cooler Master HAF XB - Corsair H105 -
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yea every time I get online with some sort of FPS it's always stupid little 8yo boys who shouldn't be on daddys Xbox/PC.

"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread