*Rumor* Next Xbox to be Unveiled and Launched in 2013 - Report - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default *Rumor* Next Xbox to be Unveiled and Launched in 2013 - Report

There is no questioning that a successor to the Xbox 360 is in the works. We've seen more than enough indications of that and it simply makes sense that an Xbox Next, Xbox 720, or whatever you want to call it is being developed by Microsoft. What we can't say for sure is when the system will be launched or even revealed, although according to a new report, the answer to both of those questions is 2013.

A report by Develop based on numerous sources suggests the third Xbox will be unveiled at E3 in 2013. The system will then be launched several months later across much of the world; the possibility of this slipping into early 2014 was acknowledged as a possibility. One would hope Microsoft takes the time it needs and doesn't repeat its mistakes with the Xbox 360 that led to the Red Ring of Death fiasco.

Microsoft, as expected, wouldn't comment on the development of a new system.

This isn't the first time a timeline for the 360's successor has been mentioned -- earlier this year we heard that Microsoft and Sony most likely wouldn't release new consoles until 2014, or 2013 at the earliest. Job listings were posted seeking engineers to work on a new Xbox earlier this year, and we've since seen resumes that include work on the next-gen system.

A separate report earlier this year indicated Electronic Arts already had access to an early version of the new console. EA adamantly denied this was true, and given that the source who leaked this information expected the system to be announced at this year's E3 and released by the end of 2012, belief in this particular rumor was hard to rationalize. Develop's new report mentions how a source claims EA does have the new hardware in some form.

An alleged source within Crysis maker Crytek stated in June the new Xbox would "likely" be revealed at E3 in 2012. The developer later officially denied that it had any next-gen hardware from Microsoft, knowledge of it, or information on Microsoft's plans.

Lionhead, which is currently at work on Fable: The Journey for Kinect, is said to be working on a brand-new Fable game, known internally as Fable Next, that would launch on the new Xbox. Also of note is the fact that the next iteration of the Unreal Engine may be ready sooner than the 2014 date Epic Games has previously cited.

It's not just Microsoft that's ramping up development for its next console, either. A source has told Develop that multiple Sony first-party studios have begun working on PlayStation 4 games. That's not to say they're anywhere near done or would be launching in the next year or two; there was no indication that a PS4 would be out sooner than 2014, which falls in with what we heard earlier this year about a launch in 2014.

Sony has suggested the PS4 is still far off, although Taiwanese component makers have led some to believe the system will be out next year, a scenario that is incredibly difficult to believe. We do, however, know Sony is interested in getting game makers to help out with the creation of new hardware, so getting first-party studios working on games early on would fit in with that.

At this point these are all rumors, albeit rumors that make a fair amount of sense. With things still so far away, though, we won't be getting official word on any of it -- Xbox Next or PS4 -- for quite some time.

Source

Old 10-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: *Rumor* Next Xbox to be Unveiled and Launched in 2013 - Report

2013 seems about right in the life cycle. One would imagine that Microsoft would bring out their new console after the Wii-U, but before the PS4.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Actually in normal console life cycle 2010 would have been the date for a new 360, but with the release of so many "hit" titles and the Kinect it has obviously been a cash cow. In another thread I was saying 2014 or 2015 and it appears I was right if any of this is true. Of course, take every rumor with a grain of salt.....or a bucket.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

I believe they will release it during a holiday season. So look for a 2012 announcement and 2013 holiday or 2013 announcement and 2014 holiday.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

It sucks no major console is being released during this holiday season. I gotta figure out what to give my kid.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I dislike the idea of having to buy a new console if it comes out in the next year, or two... Both Microsoft and Sony has released updated consoles in the last few years, and people are all buying those up, so it might hurt Microsoft and Sony to release a brand new console in the next 2-3 years, mostly due to the economy and everyone buying up things for the current generation of consoles.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

There is no way consoles will come out later than 2014. 2015 is just way too far off.

By the sound of the rumors, it looks as if ps4 is gonna lag behind for a few years, just like ps3.

Only good thing about them taking forever to release anything is that the graphical jump will be more significant.
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 10-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I still dont see them doing anything till at least 2014, that is only a few years away, microsoft is still milking the 360s, kinect, and games, sony, I don't know WTH they are doing, surprised they are even pushing a PS4, considering the issues they have had all year with there online network, heck they was recently hacked, yet, once again.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

Eurgh, they've got to be so careful. If i was them, there is no way i'd be rushing around to get the next console out in 2013, maybe 2014.. but i think it's still to early.

PC Games do look better than 360 and PS3 games, no one is questioning that. The thing is, how much better ? I look at something like Uncharted 3 and it makes me think PC games don't exactly look a whole load better. Slightly sharper, less jaggies, one or two extra special effects. Apart from that it is hardly a massive
difference. And all this is on the basis of a i7 2600k / GTX 580 based PC. Which being realistic, is not particularly likely for the next consoles. At least not the GTX580. That thing is huge, and power hungry, and hot, and noisy. You can't put that in a console, not without some serious tinkering. Though actually I guess by the time they're released, shrinking a GTX580 type powered GPU into something more acceptable in terms of power draw and necessary heat sink size may be feasible.

It's hard to call though. To get the kind of PC visuals you would get with a GTX 580 on a PC would not require a GTX 580 in a console. Consoles have the advantage of much better drivers, lower level access, easier optimisation etc. Not to mention a console game like Uncharted 3 is going to have 10x the budget of any PC exclusive, which goes a long way to making a better gameplay and visual experience with the hardware available.

If it were me, I'd want to see top end hardware from 2013 put into a console that will arrive by 2015 to keep the costs respectable. Also, efficiency and architecture improvements would enable you to develop a gpu that is only as powerful as one from 2013, but using the latest technology, resulting in a more efficient and cooler gpu, as well as cheaper. Got to remember consoles have to be 3 things which don't matter to PC gamers. They have to be relatively Small, not use 600watts of power, and not be a replacement for a portable heater.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Problem with 90% of PC games right now is they don't have a chance of looking better because they are all ports, and that's a fact.

By the time these consoles are out 28nm GPU's will be around so something with the power of a 580 in the new Xbox is pretty feasible with being cool. You have to admit, the Xbox isn't all that cool. When my house is 68f a single Xbox 360 heats up my living room without even playing games. Also when these new consoles come out 22nm CPU's will be the norm too. Smaller, cooler, faster.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread