PSN Security Still Being Tested, Waiting Continues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default PSN Security Still Being Tested, Waiting Continues

As one would expect following a debacle like what's happened with the PlayStation Network, Sony has made security its top priority. As such, that means it won't just throw PSN back online without thoroughly testing the strength of PSN's infrastructure. In other words, the waiting continues after 16 days.

"We're still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system," Patrick Seybold wrote tonight at the PlayStation Blog. "Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online."

When announcing this past weekend that PSN would be back up within a week, Sony was "unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system."
While that's probably the best thing possible for everyone involved, it requires patience from users -- something which is understandably running thin after more than two weeks of downtime.

"We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we're doing everything we can to make it happen," Seybold added. "We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage."

It was announced yesterday that internal testing was reaching its final stages. In a letter to users, Sony CEO Howard Stringer said PSN would be back up "in the coming days."This latest message comes across as a subtle way of saying it's going to be at least a few more days before things are back up. For the sake of PSN users who have been waiting to play games online, gain access to their complimentary PC copy of Portal 2, or download games (imagine how awful it must be for anyone who purchased a PSP Go in the past two weeks), hopefully it'll be much sooner.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread