GameStop named one of 'America's worst companies to work for' - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default GameStop named one of 'America's worst companies to work for'

Working around video games all day may seem like a dream job to some, but according to new data, working at GameStop is one of the worst options among all companies across the country.

Financial analysis and commentary website 24/7 Wall Street recently published a list of "America's Worst Companies to Work For," with GameStop finishing in 10th place of 11. The list was based on employee reviews gathered from Glassdoor, an online job and company community.

Other retail chains on the list include OfficeMax, Radio Shack, and Sears. Satellite broadcaster Dish Network was named the absolute worst company for employees.

Specific concerns levied against GameStop included regular complaints that the company prioritizes sales above customer service. This is not the first time GameStop has been called out for its business practices. The retailer was cited in Consumer Reports' 2011 "Naughty List" for complaints over its return policies.

Source: Gamespot

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: GameStop named one of 'America's worst companies to work for'

Thats pretty funny. I tried to apply there in High School. But, it makes sense. Although your surrounded by video games even the lay out of the store is boring.

bobjob987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

"Specific concerns levied against GameStop included regular complaints that the company prioritizes sales above customer service."
PhantomGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Know what all of those have in common? Retail.

Working in retail in general sucks. Worked for a RadioShack in high school, and it was alright, but that was because it was a locally-owned franchise store, and not a corporate RadioShack store. And my older brother used to work for them when he was in high school as well.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

My fiance worked there when we first met and 3.5 years later she will probably work there again except full time. She didn't mind working there at all. In fact, the only complaint she really had was being short and trying to sort game boxes on the higher up shelves. The management thought this was hilarious.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

A lot of it really depends on the store. Overall I think retail sucks a bunch, but a lot of it comes down to the people you can work with and where you're located. Some locations are gonna get way way way worse people who come in, especially being in the extremes of high and low income areas.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Every time I go into a GameStop it seems like everyone working there enjoys their job. However, I'm rarely ever in them.
TTGSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGSteve View Post
Every time I go into a GameStop it seems like everyone working there enjoys their job. However, I'm rarely ever in them.
Rule 1 of retail: even if you hate your job, you have to look happy when customers are around.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It sells video games
mcaustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Rule 1 of retail: even if you hate your job, you have to look happy when customers are around.
Not entirely.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote