AMD says Xbox 720 graphics to be good as Avatar - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: AMD says Xbox 720 graphics to be good as Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Most of todays consoles are released on a 5 year period which is kind of a standard people are used to. If they do indeed wait then they know that the Wii U will be no match for their upgraded hardware like it is with this gen. I've heard all kinds of rumors on release dates but most are pointing to 2015/2014.
They will definitely blow the Wii U out of the water, but if devs get used to developing on the Wii U for a few years, it's not like they are going to quit. And where are you finding your information. I've gotten most of mine off IGN. I forget whether you're the one that doesn't like IGN or not, but they're pretty much the biggest and most professional gaming site, so that is where I go. There, and their main competitor, Gamespot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I'm sure they thought that way when UT04 was released. 3 years later look how much better it looks, then they release Crysis 1. Now we have DX11 and games like Metro2033. Like I was saying above, it is very possible to have realistic looking graphics even with todays hardware and engines. Take that GTA4 mod for example. When done right, it looks pretty **** real which is all CGI is. The difference between the movie and games is movies like Avatar have a multi-million dollar budget that exceeds that of even todays top games.
Yeah, but game devs, don't need to pay actors and directors and the rest of the torrent that comes with movies. Plus, they net more cash. Sure, Avatar may have sold more tickets, but Black Ops holds the record for most revenue. $6-$10 movie ticket vs $60 game. But I think we are in agreement here that games will look like Avatar this next gen?

Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
They will definitely blow the Wii U out of the water, but if devs get used to developing on the Wii U for a few years, it's not like they are going to quit. And where are you finding your information. I've gotten most of mine off IGN. I forget whether you're the one that doesn't like IGN or not, but they're pretty much the biggest and most professional gaming site, so that is where I go. There, and their main competitor, Gamespot.

Yeah, but game devs, don't need to pay actors and directors and the rest of the torrent that comes with movies. Plus, they net more cash. Sure, Avatar may have sold more tickets, but Black Ops holds the record for most revenue. $6-$10 movie ticket vs $60 game. But I think we are in agreement here that games will look like Avatar this next gen?
I get my information from all over the internet and usually compile it to see who has the avg response. Most of the time though, I'm on Xbox360iso.com.

Yes, we are in agreement. I was using PC graphical capabilities in the past few years as an example of how it CAN and probably WILL rival that of the movie or better later on.

Edit: iFargle brought this to my attention since I saw it on G+.

They have progressed A LOT in 1 year. In 3-4 years this tech could be complete at this rate. Here is your proof that it is possible.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

It sounds good, but I think current games are still looking better than what they've shown off. I guess that is their "artist problem" or whatever. The lighting definitely needs to improve which they promised, which is good.
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well you don't really get to much better than Crysis 1 (besides like 2 games tops). All they really showed was Bulletstorm which is 1 major engine (UT3), Crysis 1 which is another major engine (Cryengine 2), and some other game. This display is showing a graphics "engine" (or API, I don't quite understand what it really is yet) which is in its infancy of 2 years worth of development. As opposed to these other engines which have been worked on for years and improved as time progresses. In just 2 short years they have raised the bar of standards infinitely by simply showing an inartistic approach to their atom based rendering. Which IMO blows polygonal engine out of the water. Take into account like the guy was saying, when artists have time to make things to render using this approach it'll look a million times better with artistic details...sorta like the realistically scanned rock. ****, even their tree looks better than that Crysis 1 tree or the UT3 sprites. You add a few more years for this to mature and if it manages to make its way on to consoles then we are looking at Avatar like quality.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Just Epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Utter bull.
agreed. I dont think the new xbox would be that good otherwise it would probably cost a fortune. However it is possible (not saying its true) that the new xbox could be shown at e3 next year or at least hinted at. even if it is announced it probably wont come out till 2013/2014 because they have just brought out the slim.

Closed Thread