Alert: PlayStation Network Account Data Compromised - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Gaming
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Alert: PlayStation Network Account Data Compromised

Your personal details and possibly even your credit card number may be in the hands of hackers.

Update: An FAQ posted on the official PlayStation website offers up a few new details. It says the intrusion was discovered "between April 17 and April 19" and the "correct course of action" regarding refunds will be decided upon once PSN is back online. It also acknowledged the Sony Online Entertainment service was unavailable at one point "due to an external attack;" in the meantime "a thorough investigation is ongoing." It's not clear if the attack on SOE -- which operates DC Universe Online, Free Realms, and Everquest, among other games -- was related, though it believes no personal information was stolen as a result.
Original Story:After nearly a week of downtime for the PlayStation Network, Sony announced today some alarming news: It believes users' personal information -- including name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and PSN online ID -- has been obtained by an "unauthorized person."

Sony's Patrick Seybold authored an update on the PlayStation Blog today stating, "We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week." Note that he said "some services," so not everything will be back to normal by then.

But much more importantly he brought along an alert being issued to all PlayStation Network members. Anyone with a registered account should soon be receiving the notification below by email. The important part: The aforementioned data could be in the hands of hackers. Credit card data -- excluding security code, so just the credit card number itself and the expiration date -- may have been stolen, although there is currently no evidence to suggest that is the case. Sony notes that it is, however, a possibility.

The email outlines the steps Sony has taken since the intrusion took place:

Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.
Sony is advising PSN members to be wary of scams or requests for your personal information -- Sony itself will not ask you for your credit card number, social security number, or anything of the sort. It's also recommending you keep a close eye on account statements and look into getting a free credit report and/or placing a fraud alert on your file. Details on how to do this are contained in the email (located in its entirety below).
There had been some concern that personal data, including credit card numbers, may have been compromised as a part of the attack last week. It's frustrating that it's taken this long to get PSN back online, not to mention how long it's taken for Sony to alert the public of this hazard.

Sony's full email can be read at the PlayStation Blog.

Source

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Default Re: Alert: PlayStation Network Account Data Compromised

And that's another reason why I pay $4.08 a month for my console's online service.

I'll have too inform my friends who use PSN about this, especially those who've bought things from the PSN store.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

What is sad, is there are a lot of 15 year olds with these systems and won't tell their parents that the PSN was compromised. This, is why I do not believe in paying for game play online, or joining a central "network" for a single game.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Read this press release. Happy I never entered my CC or Address or any of that other stuff into my PSN accnt. At least I can still use netflix.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

**** - i've used the PSN for renting movies... so they have my information.

While they have not confirmed CC information has been stolen, would you suggest getting a new credit card number? I check my online accounts every day or two and am on top of my accounts so would just keeping an eye out be enough?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I am just keeping an eye on my account. Since it is linked to my Debit card I can easily check all transactions. If i start to see even 1 transaction I dont know about I am getting a new card.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

I am a PSN+ Subscriber, and have used my card, my mums and my dads plenty of times.

Chances of your card being used are tiny. The theft got 75Million PSN account. Even if only 10% have cards on them, thats still 7.5m cards to use. And even more to the point, the kind of person that did this is more likely doing it for fun than for stealing peoples money.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Ya, they have my credit card number and i really don't feel like going about changing this card (as that card is tied to multiple other online transactions).

Since it's on my credit card I'll just pay close attention, if something happens its on my credit card and i can dispute the charge without paying a dime out of pocket.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

7.5 million cards sells for a lot online, they won't use the cards, they will sell the card information to others who will use it. I would just keep an eye on my account information and if something happens, call the creditor/bank and have the account locked, and issue a new card.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
I am a PSN+ Subscriber, and have used my card, my mums and my dads plenty of times.

Chances of your card being used are tiny. The theft got 75Million PSN account. Even if only 10% have cards on them, thats still 7.5m cards to use. And even more to the point, the kind of person that did this is more likely doing it for fun than for stealing peoples money.
Talk about a false sense of security and competely wrong impressions. Why would someone go through all of the trouble to hack the entire Sony network just for fun? I am sure they would rather have put that effort into hacking the PS3 to play pirated games. You are so wrong on your judgement of this entire thing it is no wonder that people dont fret about such things anymore.

Even 1% of the total is a big deal. I'm so glad you dont care that not only your information but your parents information got stolen. Since your so lack luster in your security why not just post it right here. You will have just as much a chance of someone seeing it here as the people who hacked Sony of using it right?

It is a big deal and it is a royal PITA for those of us who have to take our time to cancel our accounts and get new cards issued. That means more time wasted for nothing. I cant wait till you seriously have to deal with not getting something you want cause of your credit being screwed cause of something like this and see how you feel then.

Closed Thread