Ten days left to get Windows 8 Media Center for free - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Software
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Ten days left to get Windows 8 Media Center for free

Windows 8 special pricing expires on January 31, but it is not the only Microsoft special offer that goes away on that day. The company kicked Media Center somewhat to the curb with the new operating system. It no longer comes as a part of Windows, but requires the Pro version and a special add-on pack that will be sold for $9.99. To boot, there are no new features included. Media Center remains unchanged from Windows 7.

Still, there is a small but very dedicated group of followers who love Media Center, and for good reason. If you own an HTPC (home theater PC) then Microsoft's solution remains one of the best options available and, if you act before the end of this month, you can grab that $9.99 media pack for free.

You have to jump through a couple of hoops, but not anything too major. First, visit this Microsoft site, enter your email address and click the "send my product key" button. Microsoft claims it can take up to 72 hours and some users have reported wait times of even longer. However, when I did it last week I received my email within minutes.

Once you receive the key then the aforementioned site provides instructions on what to do, but it is a pretty simple process that is carried out through the "add features" section of Windows 8 settings. Of course, your system will restart during the process and it will take a few minutes for the updates to be applied.

Many enthusiasts claim that they will not upgrade their HTPC because of the way Media Center has been treated in Windows 8 -- add-on pack, no longer an option to start upon system boot, and a few other reasons. However, if you want to make that move or just want the software on your desktop or notebook then now is the time to act.

Source

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Ten days left to get Windows 8 Media Center for free

With that good promo id swear you'd work for Microsoft. Does it perform as well, if not better than poweramp? I haven't used microsofts music player in years

hornedturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSPhon View Post
Thanks! I'm using Windows 8 and few minor details to go through. New updates every now and then that works well with AVG anti virus protection. Seems ok and good so far, I'm used to the desktop features and it's better for me.

Can anyone place the number of Microsoft for the product key of 8.1 Windows? It is still sitting on my computer ASUS. Would be much help to me. Microsoft Inc. in Washington is closed for the day, from Honolulu, HI.

Thanks much!
I don't get what your asking? The product serial for Windows 8.1 will be exactly the same for your install of Windows 8, if you qualify for the free upgrade. If not you will have to purchase it separately and get a new one at that time. The serial is tied to the BIOS. That is why the COA sticker is no longer on the laptop. If you use the recovery partition you can reinstall without any issues. If no you will have to contact Asus to get the proper media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornedturtle View Post
With that good promo id swear you'd work for Microsoft. Does it perform as well, if not better than poweramp? I haven't used microsofts music player in years
Well first it was a news story, posted in January. Next Media Center is not just a music player but an all encompassing program for use of streaming content to other devices. Plus PowerAmp is only for Android Devices and this is for a PC. 2 different things completely.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The awkward moment when you get your music players mixed up. Winamp is what I was thinking of.
This is a forum so asking how it compares to other media players should be allowed.
hornedturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Windows 8 is a bit pricey unless you're getting some sort of discount. If I was running Windows 7 now I wouldn't bother paying up.

Apple MacBook Pro || 750GB || 8GB RAM || 2.9 GHz i7
Apple iPhone 8 || 64GB || Black
Apple iPad Air 2 || 64GB || Black
Sony Playstation 3 || 60GB || 2007 Model
Microsoft Xbox 360 || 20GB || 2009 Model
Sony PSP || 8GB || 2005 Model
MillField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillField View Post
Windows 8 is a bit pricey unless you're getting some sort of discount. If I was running Windows 7 now I wouldn't bother paying up.
Same price or cheaper than 7. Was a great deal to get it for 15 bucks when this was posted. Even better if you have Dreamspark

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Same price or cheaper than 7. Was a great deal to get it for 15 bucks when this was posted. Even better if you have Dreamspark
Especially since I just got a separate key from 8, for 8.1 on DreamSpark .

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Especially since I just got a separate key from 8, for 8.1 on DreamSpark .
My 8 key was from reviewing, so both separate for me too.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote