Quick, get Windows 8 Pro cheap while you still can - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Software
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Quick, get Windows 8 Pro cheap while you still can

We knew this day would come. That Microsoft would get back to generating Windows revenue rather than lifting market share. Windows 8 pricing is set, and you will pay big bucks to upgrade after January 31. I suppose the cynical mind would see today's pricing announcement as a last push to get procrastinators off their butts before the deal disappears with the wind. Last-minute stampede means more license sales -- 60 million currently -- for Microsoft to declare in the not-so-distant future.

Starting February 1, Windows 8 Pro Upgrade will cost $199.99 -- that's up from as low as $39.99 right now. Microsoft will also, finally, sell Windows 8 (non-pro), which will cost $119.99. With respect to Windows 7 at launch, the prices are the same. But for anyone with 40 bucks on the brain, Windows 8 Pro will cost 400 percent more in just two weeks. The $39.99 price is for anyone downloading direct from Microsoft. A costlier, $69.99 upgrade with DVD media also is available -- just 186 percent increase from that one.

Windows Media Center add-on is free through the end of the month, then costs $9.99. Anyone buying a PC from June 2 to January 31 has until February 28 to register for a $14.99 Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Miss the date, if you'd prefer to give Microsoft $185 more. Right now Windows 8 (non-pro) is only available on new PCs. The pro upgrade, from within the OS, will be $99.99, whether Windows 8 is purchased on a PC or separately.

What? You thought this gravy train would last? I wondered, given that Apple practically gives away OS X, which current version is just $19.99 -- for software that's about equivalent to Windows 8 Pro. There is no OS X lite -- well, excluding iOS (and that's free).

Some people rightly wondered if Microsoft would permanently lower prices to keep in step with Apple. Perhaps that's true in some loony-bin alternative universe. Reality is this: Retail upgrades fall off dramatically the first three months after a new Windows version ships. That's a longstanding pattern. This release, Microsoft chose to reward early adopters with cheapo copies -- and Pro at that. Latecomers are penalized and pay more, or they can help Microsoft partners by buying a new computer instead.

So upgrade cheap while you still can. That is if you haven't already purchased an OEM license, or plan to (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Amazon sells Windows 8 System Builder version for $95.88 and Pro for $110.99. Pick your poison, but be quick about it. The shadow the Groundhog sees will be long this year.

Source

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Quick, get Windows 8 Pro cheap while you still can

I was able to get win8 pro for $15 just a couple days ago; even though this wasn't supposed to be possible after January 31st.

I'm glad I did, otherwise I'd be paying $99 for win8 home or $199 for pro. I did get me system builder for $139 which is higher than you mention here, but I got that 3 months ago.

mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

You are not talking about the same deal. You are talking about the deal where you purchased a brand new laptop with Windows 7, you get Windows 8 for $15.

This deal is about those who did not purchase a new PC with Windows 7 and were currently upgrading their version of Windows to Windows 8. That was the $40. That was the deal that expired on Jan 31st.

The System Builder version is not the same version listed for $119. That is just Windows 8 Pro. The stand alone version not the System Builder Version. They are 2 different versions. The one for $119 is the one you get from Microsoft only via their website. The System Builder is now the one that takes place of the OEM version.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ah, ok makes sense; wish they wouldn't do concurrent deals to confuse people
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yeah. That was a bit of confusion for some. They thought they could get it for $15 but found out it was $40 instead. Dont worry, that deal is coming to an end at the end of Feb. So you got it just in time.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have a question. I am going to be building a custom gaming computer pretty soon, would it be better to get windows 8 or windows 7 and if 7 which version?
FPSChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

That is really a personal preference. Some people will say Win7 and others will say Win8. Figure out which one you like and go with it.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The choice between windows 7 and windows 8 is a very personal one. Windows 8 is slightly faster in some areas, notably booting up and shutting down. Some tests on techspot have shown that windows 7 is slightly better at gaming frame rates, but probably not a difference you would notice.

Also factor in that windows 8.1 will have a start menu of sorts.
steves85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lookin' for higher ground

Yeah, very personal as in I have over 25 copies of Windows 8 sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

When will Windows 8.1 be release and what are the exact changes within this update?

Soar
Seasonic SS660XP Platinum
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Scythe Fan Controller w/Temps
soarwitheagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Private Joker

Windows 8.1 release date, news and features | News | TechRadar

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote