Multi-Platform Opera Joins Chrome and Firefox On The Rapid Release Bandwagon - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Opera Joins Chrome and Firefox On The Rapid Release Bandwagon

Quote:
Chrome has brought plenty of amazing new innovations to the table since its introduction less than three years ago, but one feature of Google’s flagship browser caught all the established players off guard, their ability to iterate at an unbelievable pace. Some simply accuse them of being too liberal with version numbers, but either way you look at it in less than 30 months Google has gone from a beta release, all the way to version 12, with no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

You can call it clever marketing if you like, but one thing seems clear; this type of version numbering seems to resonate with consumers. To keep a fickle generation of web users engaged with a brand, browser makers need to be seen as innovating as quickly as Google, or risk being left in the dust. Firefox famously re-enforced this concept by jumping from version 4 to 5 in a matter of months, and Opera is getting ready to join the party with today’s alpha release of Opera 12, less than two weeks after the debut of version 11.5.

Opera 12, codenamed “Wahoo” (yes after the fish), is designed to run alongside version 11.5, so users who wish to give the alpha version a try can feel free to do so, without ditching the most recent stable release. Currently the Opera 12 alpha is little more than a series of bug fixes and performance improvements, but we expect to see more as the weeks roll on.

With Opera joining Firefox in the race to keep up with Chrome, do you think Redmond will finally cave to the pressure and step up the release rate for Internet Explorer? Business have clearly weighed in against the idea of rapid releases for compatibility reasons, so perhaps Microsoft will choose to sacrifice a bit of ground in the consumer space, especially if it means maintaining their foothold in the corporate world.

Source

Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Opera Joins Chrome and Firefox On The Rapid Release Bandwagon

Firefox 5? I'm on Chrome 12.. 7 times more advanced than FF. /sarcasm

I prefer a regular release like Ubuntu has been doing... Every six months or a year that innovates at a steady pace, not some "breakneck" speed where an entire version number jump is only bug fixes.

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFargle View Post
I prefer a regular release like Ubuntu has been doing... Every six months or a year that innovates at a steady pace, not some "breakneck" speed where an entire version number jump is only bug fixes.
Same here. I would prefer a version number to change when the program is actually changed in some fundamental way. Who cares what Opera and Google are doing. It will look pretty dumb when they are touting Chrome v101!!!

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I'm on the Fx x64 8 nightly and I have to say it's pretty stable for being a nightly.

I thought opera would be immune to the fad though. LOL... wonder if MS is gonna copy now. they always copy. they were the last to have a tabbed browser. Fx FTW!!!!
Closed Thread