Mac Hacker writes easy-to-use Mac Trojan - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Hacker writes easy-to-use Mac Trojan

Quote:
In a sign that hackers, like everyone else, are taking an interest in everything Apple, researchers at Sophos say they've spotted a new Trojan horse program written for the Mac.

It's called the BlackHole RAT (the RAT part is for "remote access Trojan") and it's pretty easy to find online in hacking forums, according to Chet Wisniewski a researcher with antivirus vendor Sophos. There's even a YouTube video demonstration of the program that shows you what it can do.

Sophos hasn't seen the Trojan used in any online attacks -- it's more a bare-bones, proof-of-concept beta program right now -- but the software is pretty easy to use, and if a criminal could find a way to get a Mac user to install it, or write attack code that would silently install it on the Mac, it would give him remote control of the hacked machine.

BlackHole is a variant of a Windows Trojan called darkComet, but it appears to have been written by a different developer. The darkComet source code is freely available, so it looks like BlackHole's author simply took that code and tweaked it so it would run on the Mac, Wisniewski said.

Mac OS X has been gaining market share on Windows lately, and that's starting to make it a more interesting platform for criminals. Wisniewski said that while Mac malware is still very rare, he has seen another Trojan, called HellRTS, circulating on file-sharing sites for pirated Mac software.

Source

Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Hacker writes easy-to-use Mac Trojan

I hope all these Mac kiddies start getting virus's so I can lol hard.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I hope all these Mac kiddies start getting virus's so I can lol hard.
Agreed... You have no idea how many die-hard Mac fans I know that I would like this to happen to, lol.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

So we can no longer say that OSX is prone to viruses...
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Um, that was never able to be said. Theyre just as prone to maleware as any OS, but with 5-8% market share its a useless target.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Oh, that was it.. OK, I stand corrected.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Apple hasn't said that their computers don't get viruses since like 2007.

I've been using a Mac Laptop for about a year and a half now and without any sort of anti-virus or anti-spyware programs I haven't had any issues (no reinstalls either). My Windows desktop also has no anti-virus or anti-spyware programs and it has had a few cases of viruses.

But with OS X your chances of getting a virus are tiny compared to if you're using Windows, but yes OS X can get viruses, just like Windows and Linux.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

From a technical standpoint, I think Windows 7 is a more secure OS than Mac OS X

I was reading an article from a hacker that basically said that, 10 years ago (maybe a bit more), Microsoft was still treating security like a marketing issue rather than a technical issue. But that started to change with XP and the move to the NT kernel.

Apple has been treating security more like a marketing issue.
The only difference is they have been able to get away with it easier, because they haven't been targeted.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

The scary thing about Apple is they often won't tell you if they find a fault, **** just recently there was one they found and didn't do anything about (or tell anyone about) for a month. In terms of security, I'd say a good *nix variant will always be at the top of the list.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Chances of getting a virus while keeping your nose clean on the net? 0%. I have never gotten a virus without the help of some idiot on my network.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread