Windows Google Chrome PWNED on Windows 7, exploit leaps over sandbox/ASLR/DEP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Google Chrome PWNED on Windows 7, exploit leaps over sandbox/ASLR/DEP

If you’ve been using Google Chrome and feeling smug that you’re browser is immune to being attacked, think again.

Here’s an interesting hack attack on the browser than not only bypasses the Google Chrome sandbox, but also Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) and Data Execution Prevention (DEP) on Windows 7 SP1.

All that is required it to trick a user into visiting a specially crafted web page hosting the exploit and a number of payloads will be executed silently with no user interaction.

Here’s a video that shows the sophisticated exploit in action:

Scary stuff, not just because it bypasses the Chrome sandbox, but because it walks through two Windows defense systems to do so.

It’s obvious that there are a number of zero-day vulnerabilities at work here.

More details over on VUPEN.

Source

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Google Chrome PWNED on Windows 7, exploit leaps over sandbox/ASLR/DEP

This, is why I don't care about Windows updates, nor browser security. Also the only reason why I browse less than 10 sites everyday.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Can I ask what a flaw in Google Chrome has to do with Windows Updates?

The site is designed to get around 2 aspects of Windows yes but only by exploiting a flaw in Chrome first. You don see this exploit working to bypass ASLR or DEP being used in any other browser. Which mans that this flaw comes from Chrome, not Windows.

You want to he insecure online that is your choice. But this is not a flaw with Windows itself. It specifically is due to Chrome.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Google Chrome PWNED on Windows 7, exploit leaps over sandbox/ASLR/DEP

The fact that the flaws are there, and still bypass part of Windows is where my point lies with updates. There is no point for ME to download 100s of megabytes for updates to an OS when simple flaws in a browser can still breach security. Bottom line, if it can be done with Chrome (these security flaws in Windows that is) then it can be done period.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I can see the big G patching this ASAP but I have been seeing a number of drive by's on one of my collector VM's running chrome haven't checked them yet, but this is a nice bubble to see burst.

Nothing is secure nothing, unless you take the machine off the network, burry it in concrete and steel then throw it into a volcano... even then expect to see a exploit using a particle accelerator and a supper sonic carrier pigeon.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

[UPDATE]VUPEN now says that this exploit does not rely on a Windows kernel exploit, so ASLR and DEP are secure.

I have no more information on the exploit here than what's given. I'm assuming that multiple exploits are needed to get past the three layers of defense since it's hard to imagine a single zero-day bypassing the sandbox, ASLR and DEP (although I suppose it could happen).

I have approached Vupen with some questions and will keep you updated.]

[UPDATE 2: There's a fair bit of hyperventilation going on in the TalkBack sections about who or what is to blame here. Is it a Google issue? Is it Microsoft? There's also claims that I'm 'picking' on one multi-billion dollar corporation or another.

Sheesh.

I know as much as you know here, which isn't very much. VUPEN say that this:

- Is a Google Chrome vulnerability
- It does not rely on a Windows kernel vulnerability
- It works on all Windows systems (including 32-bit and 64-bit)
- Relies on undisclosed zero-day vulnerabilities
- Sandbox, ASLR and DEP are bypassed

Given that VUPEN now clearly say that this doesn't rely on a Windows exploit, it's both safe and fair to say that this is a Google problem. And given that this exploit isn't in the wild, there's no need for a Chicken Little reaction.

This isn't about the merits of Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux, or who's to blame, or pledging allegiance to one multi-billion dollar corporation or another. It's about keeping end users safe.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The fact that the flaws are there, and still bypass part of Windows is where my point lies with updates. There is no point for ME to download 100s of megabytes for updates to an OS when simple flaws in a browser can still breach security. Bottom line, if it can be done with Chrome (these security flaws in Windows that is) then it can be done period.
It's not inherently harmful either. You may be at an advantage when it comes to inexperienced hackers who most likely have no knowledge of zero-day exploits or outdated websites which use old methods of exploitation. I would tend to think that this is probably the majority of most anything you have to worry about. But lets be honest here, what is the overall probability of your machine in particular being exploited by a zero-day exploit if you're an experienced user? I guess your level of security would ultimately be relative to the primary purpose of your machine.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikbix View Post
It's not inherently harmful either. You may be at an advantage when it comes to inexperienced hackers who most likely have no knowledge of zero-day exploits or outdated websites which use old methods of exploitation. I would tend to think that this is probably the majority of most anything you have to worry about. But lets be honest here, what is the overall probability of your machine in particular being exploited by a zero-day exploit if you're an experienced user? I guess your level of security would ultimately be relative to the primary purpose of your machine.
Umm, TJX ring a bell.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Closed Thread