Multi-Platform Firefox 5 arrives early -- get it now! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Firefox 5 arrives early -- get it now!

Quote:
It's not officially released until tomorrow, but if you'd like to have an early look at Firefox 5 then the final build is actually available now, and while the "new features" list is a little on the short side, the browser includes some interesting tweaks which are well worth having. Mozilla posted the release candidate just three days ago.

You won't find these by examining the interface, though. The only notable visual change is that the Do Not Track privacy feature introduced in Firefox 4, which has been relocated so it's easier to spot (top of the Tools > Options > Privacy dialog, where it really should have been in the first place), otherwise you might just as think you're using Firefox 4.

Web development tweaks are in unusually short supply, too. There's support for CSS animations, a technology that makes it easy for developers to create simple web animations, even if they don't know JavaScript. But while the 5.0 beta release notes talked about "improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas", how noticeable these will be is still open to question: we ran Firefox 4.01 and 5.0 at HTML5test.com and they both returned identical scores.

What seems much more interesting to us were the promised improvements in memory and networking performance. Would these deliver anything visible to the end user? We ran a few tests on a Windows 7 system, with some encouraging results.

We found initial memory use (private working set), for instance, dropped from 125 to 93MB. Resource use also fell, sometimes significantly -- so, for example, threads dropped from 54 to 40. And maybe as a by-product of these efficiencies, launch speed improved by up to 20 percent. Mozilla posted the release candidate just three days ago.

Was this just a one-off launch time benefit, though? To check this, we opened five additional tabs, and found even greater improvement in RAM and resource use. This suggests individual tabs are now also more efficient, so you should be able to open even more of them before running into any performance or stability issues.

Just in case that's not enough, Firefox 5 also now makes more intelligent use of its persistent HTTP connections. For the most part, this is just as uninteresting as it sounds, but HttpWatch ran some benchmarks that show dramatic improvements in a few situations, with, for example, a test screen image loading twice as fast thanks to the new feature.

Forget the lack of visible changes, then. Firefox 5 does have several interesting additions under the hood. Go grab a copy for yourself and see what these performance tweaks can do for you.

Source

Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Firefox 5 arrives early -- get it now!

I have some performance stats on my blog as well I've outlined... so far it uses 200MB less ram on average then FF4.0.1 did.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

There is one I missed, FF5. I jumped from 4.01 to 6.0a2 and I am running 7.0a1 to type this, both work well.

You can install the "Add-on Compatibility Reporter" Plug-in to disable version checking and run (almost) all your old plug-ins (I have about 30 running).

You can assist the Firefox Beta Team by running the newest Browser and enabling Error Reporting, that is how others get well tested versions (like FF5).

Thanks.

FF6: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/ni...urora/?C=M;O=D
FF7: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...trunk/?C=M;O=D

http://img.tineye.com/result/adb2576...a2f274a8433fda Got a question, try the Search Bar.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I might give that a try thanks for the addon suggestion.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Seeing this is a BIG relief. When the Firefox auto download thing said that it was going to download Firefox 5 I was worried that it was some sort of virus because Firefox 4 only came out a few months ago. It's good to know that it's legit.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Firefox just wants to keep up with Chrome, that's all.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

yeah and it's not a good thing to the add-on devs that do it for free. they have to work harder now. it's hard to keep up with new versions coming out every 16 weeks or whatever. they should have stuck with the old system and not gave a **** what chrome's devs do. the addons are what makes firefox!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Hayden13

You can't even hardly see your themes now... it's almost exactly like chrome you're right, too simple.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I'll take performance increases over themes anyday
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

and also if people want chrome they should use chrome, not try to make Firefox into chrome.... people are weird these days and not in a good way.

Closed Thread