Other SSD data transfer speed doubled - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default SSD data transfer speed doubled

Quote:
A flash memory working group announced a new interface specification on Tuesday that could speed up data transfers from flash storage products such as solid-state drives inside computers and consumer electronics.

The ONFI (Open NAND Flash Interface) Working Group released the ONFI 3.0 controller specification, which allows for transfer of data at 400 megabytes per second. That is double the speed of the previous ONFI standard, ONFI 2.3, which was released last August.

The ONFI specification is a chip-level controller interface that defines how data is written, read and erased on flash memory. ONFI has also defined a physical connector specification for NAND flash, similar to the DRAM DIMMs used to attach memory.

The ONFI working group was created in 2006 to establish a standard interface so NAND flash can be easily integrated into host devices such as consumer electronics and computers. The founding members included Hynix Semiconductor, Intel, Micron Technology and Sony. Today, ONFI has more than 100 members, including SanDisk, and flash components from companies like Intel support the ONFI interface.

The use of flash storage in handheld devices and PCs is growing as the storage medium becomes cheaper. Server makers are also embedding solid-state storage on motherboards to provide faster data access for I/O-intensive applications. SSDs offer faster read and write capabilities than hard drives. When placed close to a CPU, NAND flash can help systems process and transfer data faster.

The new specification includes improved error-correction capabilities and is more power-efficient than earlier standards, ONFI said in a statement.

ONFI 3.0 uses fewer channels than did previous specifications, which results in both cost and space savings, which are key requirements for SSD design, Micron said in a statement.

"Intel supports the new specification, which will enable a new class of high-performance SSDs," the chipmaker said in a blog entry on Tuesday.

Source

Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: SSD data transfer speed doubled

It's all about the Sandforce.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Because we all know with modern SSD's we sit around tapping our fingers waiting for files to load

How much faster can they make these things? Seriously. Is there a point where things can't get any faster? I think it'll get to the point where we won't even be able to humanly notice the speeds anymore. My 285MB/s is instant as it is. How much more instant can they make these things?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

You're not a techie if you're complaining about moar speed!

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Oh I never said I didn't want more speed... I just made a point that this stuff is so fast, at what point will it not even be noticeable anymore? It will all just be a blur...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

And in that case, I would see if I could overclock blur hehe.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
And in that case, I would see if I could overclock blur hehe.
ROFL. I bet you would.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Well I still gotta wait a while when transferring my freshly ripped bluray copies onto my htpc, NOT ACCEPTABLE!
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro2a View Post
Because we all know with modern SSD's we sit around tapping our fingers waiting for files to load

How much faster can they make these things? Seriously. Is there a point where things can't get any faster? I think it'll get to the point where we won't even be able to humanly notice the speeds anymore. My 285MB/s is instant as it is. How much more instant can they make these things?
PCIe SSD's can do read/write speeds of around 700MB/s simultaneously. Hopefully those will go down in price soon though.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

I actually want a Revodrive myself to cut back on extra cables in my case.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread