Other Plasma HDTVs Still Relevant, Hit Record High - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Plasma HDTVs Still Relevant, Hit Record High

Haters gonna hate

I can understand the ATI thing, other cards with similar performance exist so you've got choices. But with plasma, you haven't got a realistic alternative other than LCD for large size units. And as well as looking worse, check the price for a 50+ inch LCD against a 50+ plasma.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru

The only alternative to Nvidia is ATI whereas I have many alternatives for screens. Plasma, LCD, LED-LCD, projector, OLED, DLP, rear projection, boob tube, ect. I don't see how I can not like something and I get reamed for it when it's just an opinion. I don't like plasma, what's the big deal? Every person I ever knew that had a plasma TV got screwed when buying brand new in the box. Sure, I actually paid (or traded) for ATI cards and had a first hand experience as to why I did not like them but that is only 200 below. A plasma TV in the size I would like would be over 400 dollars at the least and I would not like to lose that kind of money to get a first hand experience at not liking them. Besides, I have already mentioned at least twice I'm not in the market for a TV, but a projector instead which I have had personal experience with and loved every minute of it. Why spend 1200 bucks on a 55+" high refresh 1080p screen when I can get double that for the same price and hang it from my roof out of the way? Sure it's only 60hz but I don't really care about refresh (hello 60hz input anyways besides 3d screens).

Also, it is clearly obvious plasma screens are at an all time high because of LCD mark up and plasma price lowness. People are buying them because of this.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

ATi offers parts that can compete with Nvidia's on performance while no other screen tech besides AMOLED can compete with Plasma when it comes to contrast, blacks, and refresh rate. Last time I checked there aren't any AMOLED HDTV's available to consumers so Plasma is the only option if you care about picture quality.

You are free to dislike Plasma but saying it sucks is guaranteed to produce a reaction from those of us who do care about the features mentioned above.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The only alternative to Nvidia is ATI whereas I have many alternatives for screens. Plasma, LCD, LED-LCD, projector, OLED, DLP, rear projection, boob tube, ect.
you could also get s3, via, matrox, voodoo... etc. but nobody in their right mind would buy one of those if you're buying a quality product, so why would you buy an OLED, DLP, rear projection, cathode ray tube etc...

Quote:
A plasma TV in the size I would like would be over 400 dollars at the least and I would not like to lose that kind of money to get a first hand experience at not liking them. Besides, I have already mentioned at least twice I'm not in the market for a TV, but a projector instead which I have had personal experience with and loved every minute of it. Why spend 1200 bucks on a 55+" high refresh 1080p screen when I can get double that for the same price and hang it from my roof out of the way? Sure it's only 60hz but I don't really care about refresh (hello 60hz input anyways besides 3d screens).
projectors are a good option, but the picture isn't as good as a comparably priced lcd, or even close to a plasma when all are under the same conditions. and sure you're getting a larger picture, but to get that larger picture you need a larger room, and if you're taking a 1080p image (which is already upconverted from 720p unless you're playing a ps3, bluray or some 360 games) and blowing it up and blurring it.

as far as input goes, it's not a 60hz input, it's NTSC format which is 29.97 hz. a 60hz tv just refreshes the 29.97hz signal more per second (obviously) but it ends up at 59.94hz which lowers motion blur. same happens with 120hz tv's and all the way up. it doesn't seem like a whole lot of an upgrade to go from 60hz to 120hz or even up to 600hz, but when there are thousands of changes happening in the real picture per second, every increase can make a difference.

Quote:
Also, it is clearly obvious plasma screens are at an all time high because of LCD mark up and plasma price lowness. People are buying them because of this.
there's no markup on tv's. plasma's have better picture replication,

and as puddle jumper said, you're entitled to your own opinion, but when you make a drastic statement like plasma's suck with the only backing being the experiences of your friends, then you're going to get some degree of backlash. there are thousands of people who buy plasma tv's and haven't had a single problem, but it seems like you're discounting those opinions completely.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread