Other Plasma HDTVs Still Relevant, Hit Record High - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Plasma HDTVs Still Relevant, Hit Record High

Quote:
LED-backlit televisions are all the rage, but plasma displays aren't dead, folks. Far from it, in fact. According to DisplaySearch, who always has a finger on the display industry's pulse, plasma TV panels finished off a "great year" by hitting a record high in the fourth quarter of 2010. What the bezel?

According to DisplaySearch, the aggressive rollout of LED HDTVs "caused a significant slowdown in the decline of LCD TV average prices," and because of this, low-priced plasma displays thrived. This was underscored somewhat in the 3D segment.

"While 3D has not played a big role in the growth of plasma shipments, it has helped support plasma TV in the competition with LCD TV," noted Ken Park, DisplaySearch Senior Analyst for Korea TV Market Research. "With 3D functionality, plasma can re-position itself as a lasting technology in the TV industry. In fact, plasma TV brands are entering 2011 with 3D across their product portfolios, from 42-inch HD to 152-inch."

What type of HDTV do you own?

Source

Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Plasma HDTVs Still Relevant, Hit Record High

I'll never own a plasma but that's just me. I agree though, the prices are very tempting. I saw a display plasma 46" Samsung for real cheap at walmart.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

From my experience, anything dirt cheap at Walmart, is just that, dirt.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i dunno why you wouldn't want a plasma if your room conditions are right. if it's a dark room with minimal natural light on the tv, the color replication is far and away better than anything you'll get out of an LCD. the only negatives are the burn in. which isn't that big a deal if you're not a tard.

I think a lot of why plasma's are back in the market is because people are finally learning that plasma's don't suck as much as samsung and sony (who don't make plasma tv's) said they did when the LCD vs Plasma war was raging. also when consumers make purchases based on numbers and not hard facts, plasma's are pretty appealing because they have a much higher hz rating, some over 400hz, as opposed to 120hz in lcd's.

it surprises me that plasma's have taken this long to regain such a large portion of the market share, about time consumers get their **** together...

as far as tv's at walmart go, tv's are tv's you'll find the same brand and models at walmart that you'll find at best buy. they're all cheap because there's no margin on tv's anymore. stores maybe make 5% on a tv if that. they sell them so cheap because you can't watch a tv with just a tv and a power cord anymore, most likely you're gonna need at least an HDMI cable, probably a DVD player, (maybe even a bluray player then you'll need 2 hdmi cables) some people will want a sound system, even more accessories associated with that. so by 'saving' you money on a tv it gives you more money to spend on items that give a much larger profit margin. and walmart can give you tons of cheap walmart brand accessories which they make the most on.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Every single friend of mine (yes, every one of them) that has had a plasma TV have had many problems with them. They where all different brands and models and now every one of them owns an LED LCD that they haven't had problems with. Now, idk about you but with odds like that I don't want to take a chance at dropping a few hundred on a TV for something to poop out on me.

The reason why the TV was dirt cheap was because it was a display model, and it was plasma. By looking at the tv for about 20 minutes I found nothing wrong with it physically, or cosmetically. They just wanted to get it off the shelf.

Now personally, I won't own a TV anyways because I want a projector =)

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma that I use as TV ( HD from direct TV ) and as my computer monitor. I have had this set for 3-4 years without any trouble. Yes, I use this set in my basement = dark, no reflective light (only ceiling lights used) , etc. . . I have no "burn in" and picture is better than my more expensive 1.5 year old high grade LED/LCD set. So, for areas that are light controlled= basements, IMO the plasma is the way to go= no motion artifacts, great color, cheaper for same size set than the LED/LCD, etc.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i worked at circuit city and sold hundreds of plasma's and we had over 15 different model plasma's on display and never had a return or a pc go out, so i'd say it's just bad luck. and it's not like you can't rma the tv... i mean if every plamsa tv ever made had a problem then you'd hear about it and wouldn't buy one but I'd say that's a more isolated instance of it being wierd.

usually with a display model, they're selling it because the model has been discontinued in the store and they're looking to sell it so they can put up a new floor model. and honestly i'd say you're better off with a floor model because you're guaranteed that it will work right. with a tv out of a box there's a chance that you'll take it out of the box and it won't work and from there you have to go back to the manufacturer because it's opened. with the floor model there's not a chance you'll get home and it'll be broken!
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Like I said, I would not buy a TV anyways but if I ever needed to I still wouldn't buy a plasma. It's kinda like how I won't give ATI another chance...to many bad experiences. My house is also very bright so that is another problem.

It's a smaller plasma so they are getting rid of it because their entire lineup is all LCD now. I know this because I know people who work at that particular Walmart. Not only that, I would never buy a TV from Walmart lol. They treat their TVs like crap in the back.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Plasma >* when it comes to Home Theater.

LCD is incapable of matching the contrast, refresh rate, and real blacks you get from a quality Plasma so until we start seeing 40+" AMOLED displays Plasma will be the choice of serious AV enthusiasts. Just look at any home theater forums, you'll notice tons of people using Pioneer Kuros despite the fact that they were discontinued a while ago.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

I'll consider it when they have a 130" for under 1000.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread