OWC is readying a 2TB, 3.5-inch form-factor workstation SSD for 2013 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default OWC is readying a 2TB, 3.5-inch form-factor workstation SSD for 2013

Consumer SSD development has largely centered on 2.5-inch or tiny mSATA form factors. By using the larger 3.5-inch form factor, however, Other World Computing plans to push SSD capacities up to 2TB for Mac Pro or other workstation users.

Dubbed the "Mercury Viper," the bright blue, aluminum-clad SSDs are designed to fit the larger 3.5-inch drive bays found in most tower-style PCs. The extra volume allows OWC to pack more high-capacity NAND chips on a single "board," starting at 240GB and going all the way up to 2TB. OWC also promises 600MB/s transfer rates from the SandForce-powered drives over an SATA 3 connection.

OWC still makes a variety of 2.5-inch SSDs which can be used in a full-size workstation with an adapter bracket. But such drives typically max out in capacity at around 512GB. With a maximum of 2TB, it will be possible to outfit a four-bay workstation with up to 8TB of fast SSD storage. Those drives could be configured in a software RAID for even faster throughput.

Still, the capacity and performance won't come cheap. Pricing hasn't been finalized, but users can expect to pay a premium. "We designed the Viper primarily for performance and capacity, not price," OWC spokesperson Grant Dahlke told Ars.

That's in stark contrast to where the rest of the market is headed, typically driving costs down and making the most of 2.5-inch and mSATA form factors used in notebooks and Ultrabooks. But workstation owners may care less about budget and more about getting work done. "We think the price will be right for the kind of user that spends $6,000 on a computer," Dahlke said. "And you can't get this kind of capacity anywhere else."

Development of the Mercury Viper is still being finalized, but Dahlke said he expects the company to announce pricing and availability by March 1.

Source

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: OWC is readying a 2TB, 3.5-inch form-factor workstation SSD for 2013

This is great that SSD manufactures are starting to realize that SSDs need to have more storage space, I just hope the price comes down soon

Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: OWC is readying a 2TB, 3.5-inch form-factor workstation SSD for 2013

There have been 2TB 2.5", 3.5" and PCI-E based SSD solutions around but the thing of it is no regular consumer needs that kind of SSD space which is why prices 512GB and up aren't really falling. When you start talking 1TB+ you're looking at storage type data, in which I wouldn't trust any SSD to house storage for the long term like I do mechanical drives.

Then when you take into consideration that new tech for SSDs comes out like GPU and CPU tech it's hard to focus on one thing and drop pricing unless you settle for older tech. I'm just glad that reasonable sizes are affordable to regular customers these days. That, and we have OEMs finally starting to ship run of the mill systems with SSD tech too which greatly reduces the time frame in which tech like this goes mainstream.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
There have been 2TB 2.5", 3.5" and PCI-E based SSD solutions around but the thing of it is no regular consumer needs that kind of SSD space which is why prices 512GB and up aren't really falling. When you start talking 1TB+ you're looking at storage type data, in which I wouldn't trust any SSD to house storage for the long term like I do mechanical drives.

Then when you take into consideration that new tech for SSDs comes out like GPU and CPU tech it's hard to focus on one thing and drop pricing unless you settle for older tech. I'm just glad that reasonable sizes are affordable to regular customers these days. That, and we have OEMs finally starting to ship run of the mill systems with SSD tech too which greatly reduces the time frame in which tech like this goes mainstream.
Well you should probably start trusting SSDs then , I can tell you with certainty that two massive companies I know of from first hand experience are using SSDs almost exclusively for data storage, only HDDs are used for backups.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Well you should probably start trusting SSDs then , I can tell you with certainty that two massive companies I know of from first hand experience are using SSDs almost exclusively for data storage, only HDDs are used for backups.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I won the lotto and can afford enterprise class SSDs 2TB and above. Consumer SSDs are not cheap enough nor reliable enough to store data on for 5+ years. I might consider it when I can buy a 2TB SSD for less than 200 bucks. Until then, HDD for data storage and will probably last a long time.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I won the lotto and can afford enterprise class SSDs 2TB and above. Consumer SSDs are not cheap enough nor reliable enough to store data on for 5+ years. I might consider it when I can buy a 2TB SSD for less than 200 bucks. Until then, HDD for data storage and will probably last a long time.
You said "I wouldn't trust any SSD". So I said you should trust them. Which you should. I made no reference to consumer or enterprise, cost nor affordability, merely the fact you can trust them because they are in use by massive corporations for normal data storage. Just some knowledge and advice, that's all.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Not long term data usage, and they can afford backups and to replace them on a regular basis after long term usage. I can't. Therefor, if an SSD will not last at least 10 years of heavy use without degradation or possible failure I will not buy one for data storage. Simple as that, and any smart consumer would agree. Not only that, but games and movies are about to get even larger so the need for more storage space is there. They don't make 4TB SSDs.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Quote:
Not long term data usage, and they can afford backups and to replace them on a regular basis after long term usage. I can't. Therefor, if an SSD will not last at least 10 years of heavy use without degradation or possible failure I will not buy one for data storage. Simple as that, and any smart consumer would agree. Not only that, but games and movies are about to get even larger so the need for more storage space is there. They don't make 4TB SSDs.
Well I won't be using SSDs for storage either because they cost so damn much. But I would if I could afford it. Hell, if you rich enough to afford 2TB SSDs, reliability wouldn't even be a concern. You'd just raid them and replace them every 12 to 24 months.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

When did someone drop $6k on a system?

Following currentr ssd prices, it'll be close to a buck a Gig.

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Some 2TB can be had for about 1900 bucks, which is slightly cheaper than $1/GB, but still way too expensive.

Honestly if I was rich or had a large sum of cash I would rather have a very large RAID 5 array made up of a bunch of 4TB drives.

Access to my Plex PM me.