nVidia Microsoft Has Acquisition Deal With Nvidia - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Default Microsoft Has Acquisition Deal With Nvidia

I found this to be most interesting... especially since I had not heard anything about this AT ALL before now.

Quote:
Redmond's purchase option automatically kicks in if a third-party offers $3.4 billion or more for tablet chipmaker's shares.

Microsoft and Nvidia have an agreement in place that spells out terms relating to a possible acquisition of the graphics and mobile processor manufacturer, regulatory documents indicate.

The deal gives Microsoft the exclusive right to match any offer for 30% or more of Nvidia's outstanding shares by a third-party, according to an SEC filing reviewed by InformationWeek. . .

The pact puts Redmond in a position to effectively veto attempts by any of its rivals to snap up Nvidia, which makes key components for the red-hot tablet market, which includes forthcoming Windows 8 slates. . .

Microsoft and Nvidia negotiated their acquisition deal as part of a broader arrangement under which Microsoft licensed Nvidia graphics chips for use in the Xbox entertainment and gaming console. The obscure pact is more than a decade old, but is apparently still in effect—even though Nvidia lost the contract to provide GPUs for the Xbox to ATI Technologies in 2003. ATI was later acquired by AMD. . .

There are already signs Microsoft is looking to rein in the hardware stack around Windows. Company representatives have reportedly issued specific guidelines to OEMs who want to build tablets and other devices for Windows 8 in order to ensure a uniform experience for end-users and to ease headaches for developers. An outright buyout of some component suppliers, including Nvidia, could be the next logical step.
Source

While I would not approve of Microsoft acquiring NVIDIA, it does look like the house that Gates built has set itself up to keep anyone else from doing so without its permission. This gives MS the power to buy Team Green themselves or to let it twist in the breeze out of the reach of anyone else.

The article mentions that there have been rumblings in the past of NVIDIA being an acquisition target of that extension of Steve Jobs' ego. With this disclosure those rumblings now become empty echoes.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Microsoft Has Acquisition Deal With Nvidia

Interesting I can see a clear division of ATI and nVidia into Mac and Windows camps if this happens.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

This probably explains Apples switch to AMD/ATI chipsets for the latest iMacs.

Interesting purchase though. Microsoft have said they wish to push the PC gaming platform with Windows 8. I can only imagine buying nvidia would help that. Automatic nvidia driver updates through windows.. yes please.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

what about apple and linux now? driver support could be bad now!!

this is a scary prediction....

we now have microsoft+nvidia
we now have apple+intel
we now have linux/droid+AMD

a tri-opoly....

intel reads this and announces that they will step up GPU efforts and have stronger alliance with apple
amd reads this and works better with linux as a response and helps fuel development allies with google.

The thing is this could also create higher prices for the consumers, due to the pressures nvidia has with microsoft.

Linux driver development with nvidia will be shafted as a result and AMD might take advantage of that and help them.

intel will work stronger on thier GPU developments and create discreet GPUs that will be more powerful then thier current GMA series. They might have a stronger alliance with apple as a result and apple will gain more ground marketshare
Old 06-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Interesting to say the least.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would not agree to microsoft buying out nvidia either. I do like the possibility of nvidia making the gpu for the next gen xbox console though. I think after the huge headache microsoft had with ATI's gpu in the 360 made them reconsider. ATI has always ran hot and loud. It would be amazing if they included tessellation and some AA/AF on the next gen, but we shall have to wait and see.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Wasn't the ATI GPU, was the fact they have to use a VERY particular type of solder that is very fragile and breaks easily, the GPU was always fine.

I think eventually they came to the conclusion that they was using a different solder in production than they was in trial runs. If you aren't selling such a unit, you don't have to conform to any laws about what it contains to operate as long as it is properly disposed of, in terms of what materials are used such as lead based solder.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Automatic nvidia driver updates through windows.. yes please.
They do that already via Windows Update.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
They do that already via Windows Update.
Nvidia has also added a Update Utility to the Driver Setup Program
Old 06-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
Wasn't the ATI GPU, was the fact they have to use a VERY particular type of solder that is very fragile and breaks easily, the GPU was always fine.

I think eventually they came to the conclusion that they was using a different solder in production than they was in trial runs. If you aren't selling such a unit, you don't have to conform to any laws about what it contains to operate as long as it is properly disposed of, in terms of what materials are used such as lead based solder.
The fact still remains that both chips in the 360 run way to hot.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread