Intel Intels discovers flaw in Sandy Bridge cipsets - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Intels discovers flaw in Sandy Bridge cipsets

As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel’s latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

Intel's press release

This ain't going to be pretty. It seems that Intel has discovered a problem in the "6-series “Cougar Point” chipsets, including H67 and P67 [source]."

So... how big is this problem? Intel says that they have shipped 8 million chipsets so far, but few consumers have them [source]." Oh, really? not from what I have seen within the enthusiast communities (like here).

It looks like all Intel will have to replace ALL "Sandy-Bridge-based motherboards, laptops, and pre-built PCs currently on store shelves or already in the hands of consumers [source]."

Seems like I remember Intel kicking AMD when AMD was down due to the errata bug way back when. I wonder if AMD will return the favor this time around? Or will the $1 billion price tag [source] be enough this time around?

It looks like we will have to wait and see, folks.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread