Other Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion

My first thought was, "What the...?"

Quote:
(Reuters) - Google Inc will buy phone hardware maker Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc for $12.5 billion to bolster adoption of its Android mobile software and compete with smartphone rival Apple Inc.

In its biggest deal to date, Google said it would pay $40 per share in cash, a 63 percent premium to Motorola Mobility's Friday closing price on the New York Stock Exchange.

"What it says is that Google wants to provide a total experience that's hardware and software (like Apple)," said BGC Partners analyst Colin Gillis.
After thinking about it a minute, it really makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Earlier this month, fresh from losing a bid to buy thousands of patents from bankrupt Nortel, Google Chief Legal Officer David Drummond blasted Microsoft, Apple, Oracle and "other companies," accusing them of colluding to hamper the increasingly popular Android software by buying up patents.

A source close to the deal said Google swooped in to buy Motorola Mobility after losing out on Nortel's patents.

"It is much more than just a patent sale. It is obviously more than a strategy shift for Google that is very significant," the source said.
I mean, since Google didn't get to snap up the patents they wanted, why not just buy one of the companies that already hold them? They get the patents as well as the ability to make phones like they want to make for Android. It looks like a win-win situation for consumers to me.

Source

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Since I own a Motorola phone, I am loving this. Hope that I can get things like IceCream Sandwich onto my phone sooner since I have a device now owned by the company that makes it. Will be great to see what comes of this.

Google already asked the judge to not allow a witness for Microsoft in their case against Motorola. Claiming that they released some source code that is supposed to be protected....how that can happen in an open source project I don't know. But it has been done.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion

This seems like a very good move for Google. They get one of the leading Android manufactures plus a lot of important patents on cellular technology for a very reasonable price compared to what the Nortel patents sold for.

I'm not sure how much this will change for existing Motorola devices but at the very least I would expect all future updates to be motoblur free which is certainly a good thing.

I'd also say we can guess who will be making the next nexus device. Motorola has always made quality hardware so now that Google will be handling the software side of things we should see some great phones in the future.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Google's $12.5 billion Motorola Mobility bet: 6 reasons why it makes sense | ZDNet

Very good reasons there.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Motorblur as it stands now with the Gingerbread update is not bad. I prefer it over TouchWiz used by Samsung. They have made great improvements to it for the latest update.

It does make sense for Google to do this. Kinda makes sense why the Gingerbread update got pushed out so fast after it went to testing. It was only 2 days after the Soak tester's got it that it went OTA.

There was a method to the madness now. It all is starting to make sense now.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

Android becoming a closed system in 3, 2, 1..

Motorola makes a few good phones though, and the Xoom was nearly good, it makes sense. Tighter control over both the hardware and software will help them break into Apples seemingly untouchable Tablet market control.

I'm all for some good Android tablets.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

makes total sense. google needs patents, a lot of them, and motorola has them. even better, motorola majkes some of the best phones in the world (atrix 4g, photon, droid 3, droid x2...) and so now google can control what the phones consist of.

but one question. it doesnt make sense now for the next nexus to be made by samsung, as suggested by everyone. shouldnt motorola make it?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx:1924833
Android becoming a closed system in 3, 2, 1..

Motorola makes a few good phones though, and the Xoom was nearly good, it makes sense. Tighter control over both the hardware and software will help them break into Apples seemingly untouchable Tablet market control.

I'm all for some good Android tablets.
Technically it already is. If you read up in the news lately about how Google and its manufacturers have lost their GPL License due to the fact they don't release their source code. But the fact is that only the Android Kernel is GPL. That is published, so that is technically the only thing that is open source.

The various version, such as Honeycomb for tablets, has very proprietary software that isn't openly available. That is where Google was smart to adopt the APL or Adaptive Public License. There they can keep various aspect of their software closed as well as open source.

Much like how Apple used the BSD License to create their software and close off their software. So really this will not change anything. As they already closed off part of it.

Google already said the companies will remain apart. MM will do what they do and Google gets access to their patents for their legal battles against Microsoft and Apple.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
Google already said the companies will remain apart. MM will do what they do and Google gets access to their patents for their legal battles against Microsoft and Apple.
Oh so everything will look to be the same as before. I understand.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by darweshs View Post
but one question. it doesnt make sense now for the next nexus to be made by samsung, as suggested by everyone. shouldnt motorola make it?
It's hard to say how the Nexus phones will be impacted. Samsung has a substantial advantage when it comes to competing for them as they can bring a lot of exclusive technology to the table like Super AMOLED displays and their own processor designs that other manufacturers can't match.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Closed Thread