Apple Flexible phone made from electronic paper to debut - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Flexible phone made from electronic paper to debut

Flexible phone made from electronic paper to debut

Quote:
A prototype flexible smartphone made of electronic paper has been created by Canadian researchers.
The PaperPhone can do all the things bulkier smartphones can do such as make and take calls, send messages, play music or display e-books.
The gadget triggers different functions and features when bent, folded and flexed at its corners or sides.
"Everything is going to look and feel like this within five years," said creator Dr Roel Vertegaal.
The device emerged from a collaboration between researchers at the Human Media Lab at Queen's University, Canada and Arizona State University's Motivational Environments Research group.
"This computer looks, feels and operates like a small sheet of interactive paper," said Dr Vertegaal in a statement. "You interact with it by bending it into a cell phone, flipping the corner to turn pages, or writing on it with a pen."
The millimetres thick prototype is built from the same e-ink technology found in Amazon's Kindle e-book reader and this is bonded to flex sensors and a touchscreen that interprets drawings and text written on it.
The prototype was created in order to investigate how easy it is for people to use bending and flexing to control such a device. The early version is connected to a laptop to interpret and record the ways test subjects flexed it.
Dr Vertegaal predicted that widespread use of larger versions of the PaperPhone might make the paperless office a reality.
The PaperPhone prototype will be on display on 10 May at the Computer Human Interaction conference in Vancouver.
At the same show the research team plan to show off a device they called the Snaplet. This device takes on different functions depending on how it is worn and bent.
The wristband is a watch when convex, a PDA when flat and a phone when concave.
Source.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Flexible phone made from electronic paper to debut

Eh, wouldn't this be OLED technology with a snazy new name?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wow... That is incredible. Sure cuts down on some of the bulk currently associated with smart phones. Have to wonder how durable they are, though.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Eh, wouldn't this be OLED technology with a snazy new name?
No, because the OLED is just a screen. This is all the tech that's super thin. I've heard of them doing development on this stuff a while back.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I want a waterproof phone that has 24hr+ heavy use battery life (for use not just standby crap) and an open hackable OS.

There's so much 'innovation' in phone tech but the battery life sucks and a coffee mishap will kill that 400 dollar smartphone.

And we have lacking phone OSes that require tedious jailbreaking to get to our specs.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

I don't need to jailbreak my phone to get what I want from it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
I want a waterproof phone that has 24hr+ heavy use battery life (for use not just standby crap) and an open hackable OS.

There's so much 'innovation' in phone tech but the battery life sucks and a coffee mishap will kill that 400 dollar smartphone.

And we have lacking phone OSes that require tedious jailbreaking to get to our specs.
There are many reputable Brands that are waterproof, I have a Nokia that has faired well.

[video=youtube;wbu_rHi3hJQ]

It is tough to find the perfect Phone that you won't need to buy another one in the next year or two, but waterproof is one of my first considerations (unless I lived in the Desert then I'd want Corning Gorilla Glass http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/ ).

I wonder how the flexible phone made from electronic paper does in your Pocket (wrinkles) or when it gets wet and sunbaked. It would be great in 'Hospital Bracelet' format with back-of-hand Projector/Touchpad.

http://img.tineye.com/result/adb2576...a2f274a8433fda Got a question, try the Search Bar.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
I want a waterproof phone that has 24hr+ heavy use battery life (for use not just standby crap).
Then you better stay away from Smartphones, or get a huge extended battery. Otherwise, it's not really going to happen. You have a portable computer in your pocket, running an already tiny LiOn battery. A lot of laptops don't even last as long as a smartphone does, and smartphones are only getting beefier and more powerful (dual-core CPU's in phones are out/coming out).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread