Intel Core i7-2600K Overclocked: Speed Meets Efficiency - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines
Default Core i7-2600K Overclocked: Speed Meets Efficiency

Most of Intel's Core i5 and i7 CPUs lock out overclocking enthusiasts, which we hate. But the K-series chips win us back over with insane scalability. Would you believe that cranking the dial on performance doesn't necessarily tank overall efficiency?

Before you buy a new Sandy Bridge-based platform
, check out yesterday's news about Intel's recall of its Cougar Point chipsets.

Do you remember the old days when overclocking still was a real challenge? First you had to look around for a suitable processor, such as the Intel Celeron ‘Mendocino’, AMD’s Duron ‘Spitfire’ or the Pentium D 805. Each of them could be taken to clock speeds 50% above their respective stock specifications, but you needed a flexible motherboard, overclocking-friendly memory, and a little luck finding the fastest reliable settings through trial, error, and some patience. Occasionally, dead hardware was the price you paid for flying too close to the sun. Even still, I have to admit that it was always fun, as well.

While this approach technically hasn’t changed, the industry now provides motherboards that were specifically designed for overclocking, and high-speed memory modules that help alleviate the bottlenecks on platforms requiring system/FSB overclocking to reach the fastest processor speeds.
Closed Thread