Belkin has acquired Linksys - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Belkin has acquired Linksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroniclehome View Post
Tech companies have proven in the past they buy the name not the integrity of the product. They will likely start shoving their hardware in the Linksys shell saving costs on sub par parts and call it good, while the consumer gets jacked..........even more.
Hasn't been the case for quite a few companies. Dell/Alienware Acer/Gateway Linksys/Cisco AMD/ATI, you get it. When Cisco bought Linksys they only plastered their name all over everything hoping brand recognition on either side would up sales. Last I heard of Cisco/Linksys before the rumors of the Belkin buyout was that Cisco would be integrating their own firmware for a cloud based web-gui which can be found on the E6500 I believe. Other than that, Linksys was still Linksys.

I believe Belkin will keep Linksys as Linksys as well, due to their reputation and brand recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I always got DDWRT-hackable Linksys routers, so not an issue for me.
I tried doing the same and wound up getting the wrong revision. It took too long for me to realize this and I couldn't return it. The default firmware on the e4200 is rather good though. Very stable, very quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerolen View Post
Personally I use Netgear. I've never had a problem with their equipment and I have thoroughly enjoyed using them. Hell I've had the same router for years.
Last Netgear router I ever had was a WNR3500. Total hunk of junk.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerolen View Post
Personally I use Netgear. I've never had a problem with their equipment and I have thoroughly enjoyed using them. Hell I've had the same router for years.
Agreed, my netgear is rock solid and full of features! decently priced too!

Murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ASUS
Chroniclehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroniclehome View Post
ASUS
meh, with asus stuff being kinda all around the market, its more or less hit or miss with them! some can be great then the next will be crap.

Im not ANTI asus, i just think that they should focus on what they are good at!
Murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I guess I've just had good luck with ASUS course I tend to read everything I can get my hands on about it first.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

[QUOTE=PP Mguire;2028322]Hasn't been the case for quite a few companies. Dell/Alienware Acer/Gateway Linksys/Cisco AMD/ATI, you get it. When Cisco bought Linksys they only plastered their name all over everything hoping brand recognition on either side would up sales. Last I heard of Cisco/Linksys before the rumors of the Belkin buyout was that Cisco would be integrating their own firmware for a cloud based web-gui which can be found on the E6500 I believe. Other than that, Linksys was still Linksys.

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring too. I was sad when Gateway was bought out.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Belkin is strictly a re-labeler. All marketing and distribution contracts. I have always wondered what the Super Tech Gurus in Mighty Cisco would think of diluting their gene-pool with consumer-oriented Linksys. Now we know. "Bye...go..."
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
Belkin is strictly a re-labeler. All marketing and distribution contracts. I have always wondered what the Super Tech Gurus in Mighty Cisco would think of diluting their gene-pool with consumer-oriented Linksys. Now we know. "Bye...go..."
If that's the case, then Belkin's products will get a jump up in quality. If they simply re-brand Linksys routers we will know.
Cisco is ****, I'm glad they don't own Linksys anymore. I can't buy the E6500 because of their idiocy.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

PP, yes, Cisco is made for the world of $100k tech engineers in a big office, and far more difficult to administer for our small-biz clients. I clear my nostrils at the "quality" arguments when, for most products, everything is a shot in the dark because manufacturing shortcuts and cheapest components possible are the name of that game - good engineering means just about nothing. Everything can be "hit or miss". Fortunately, most everything works fine... for now... but tomorrow's assembly line could be producing junk!

I too am an ASROCK fan because, oddly, they still produce 'modern CPU motherboards' with both IDE and Floppy Drive connectors for our clients that need conversion machines AND modern CPUs. And as long as they don't need much SATA-III use, then Intel is a good choice. Otherwise, get AMD and have 6 SATA-IIIs. And a Floppy. And use that old IDE Pioneer DVR-112 forever and ever.
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Build Guru

Trolling aside, go talk to some layer 2/3 engineers. I'll stick to Brocade.

Access to my Plex PM me.