AMD AMD's Bulldozer Chips - More Delays? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default AMD's Bulldozer Chips - More Delays?

Quote:
A number of market indicators revealed this week that the highly-anticipated microprocessors based on Bulldozer micro-architecture may become available later than expected. Several sources indicated that AMD might be unable to make available the FX-series "Zambezi" chips in September, besides, AMD declined to comment on revenue shipments of Opteron "Interlagos" and "Valencia" microprocessors.
AMD's Highly-Anticipated Bulldozer Chips May Face Further Delay - X-bit labs

As a self-confessed Intel fanboy...

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: AMD's Bulldozer Chips - More Delays?

Nobody even has an actual release date yet. So how can anyone say it's delayed?
Not to mention, this article only really talks about availability, not launch.

I think only AMD knows the date it'll launch. But I would say probably sometime in September October

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Ah, and the new Fermi ladies and gentlemen.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I was so excited for the bulldozer I couldn't wait. First they said mid summer and that came and went. Then they said September and that has come and is pretty much gone. Now its suppose to be October or November but at the rate they're going I'm not holding my breath. Anyway I'm tired of waiting and tired of the delays. I want to just get this build started and done so I'm going with the I7 even though I really don't like Intel. Sorry AMD but your delays made you lose another customer.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Bulldozer has a set release date of October 12th.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

But still its going to probably take a while to know how good it really is. Its not like they're going to come out October 12th (if they actually do) and we're going to know instantly if its as good as or better then the I7. It's probably going to be awhile before all the bench mark test are finished.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

If they say the release date is the 12th then reviews will also come out on the 12th as well as the product release retail. Big products like new CPU's from new generations generally get sent to reviewers under tight NDA to have the review ready by the release date when NDA is lifted.

Bulldozer will be competing with the 2600k, so it will be a toss up as AMD's benches didn't put the 8 core FX chip way high over the competition. I'd say it will be on par in multi-threaded apps and the 2600k will excel in single threaded apps.

If you play more games than video encoding (or the latter) then grab yourself a 2600k if you can't wait 2 weeks.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Its not that I can't wait two weeks I just have my doubts as to if the bulldozer will actually beat out the I7 in the gaming category. I hope it does because as I said I hate Intel but I just have a feeling its not going to beat the I7 as the best for gaming.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS1220 View Post
I was so excited for the bulldozer I couldn't wait. First they said mid summer and that came and went. Then they said September and that has come and is pretty much gone. Now its suppose to be October or November but at the rate they're going I'm not holding my breath. Anyway I'm tired of waiting and tired of the delays. I want to just get this build started and done so I'm going with the I7 even though I really don't like Intel. Sorry AMD but your delays made you lose another customer.
Nobody from AMD said it would release in September.

A video AMD made had a partially obscured slide which had "ember 19" written on it, so people assumed that was the release of BD.
But it was discovered that the partially obscured slide was in fact identical to a slide made for the original Phenom I release. Phenom I was released on the 19th November 2007
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

The only official date released was September but some AMD reps had said an initial release date was set for June and delayed till further notice.

As I had already said RDS, I doubt seriously that dozer will outrun a 2600k in single threaded apps.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread