AMD AMD may be in play, but Dell purchase unlikely - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default AMD may be in play, but Dell purchase unlikely

Quote:
Shares of AMD got a little pop on rumors that Dell may acquire the company. The chances of Dell acquiring AMD are likely to be slim, but the management free chipmaker does make a good takeover target.

Letís face it. AMD doesnít have anyone at the helm and as Barrons noted thatís a situation just begs for rumors. AMD booted CEO Dirk Meyer and now operating chief Robert Rivet has left the building. In addition, Marty Seyer, senior vice president of corporate strategy, also left. These departures arenít all that surprising, but when you factor in a CEO search AMD looks vulnerable.

Simply put, an acquirer could just buy AMD and insert its own management.

Why wouldnít Dell want AMD? Dell would alienate long-time partner Intel. Meanwhile, itís unclear what edge AMD would give Dell. Dell needs software and services not a chip war with supplier Intel.

However, AMD would be a nice fit for those ARM-based mobile chipmakers that are interested in becoming a broader computing platform. Qualcomm and Nvidia could be stretch buyers for AMD.

Source

Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: AMD may be in play, but Dell purchase unlikely

There's no way Nvidia would be allowed to buy AMD, especially now that ATI has been fully integrated.

I'd rather not see Dell buy AMD, but it could give AMD that injection of raw cash they need to expand into Intel's near-monopoly (though many more companies than Dell can provide that).

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Triforcer

I think TI or IBM would be in the market as well. Both are two of the largest processor manufacturers in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
There's no way Nvidia would be allowed to buy AMD, especially now that ATI has been fully integrated.
What do you mean by not allowed? Who's not going to allow it? The only people with a say are the heads of nVidia and what's left of AMD.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lady Techie

There'd be governmental intervention there, anti-trust laws and such. Since that would leave Nvidia with a monopoly on the consumer GPU market, unless they could prove to fairly compete with... themselves.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

this was such a smack in the face holy crap. this would really mess up the industry so bad. dell would then make amd chips expensive for other computer companies. other computer companies would then to go intel. amd looses its worth as a result. dissolves and we are left with intel and a few crappy small time chips. Not unless Nvidia made CPUs. Nvidia would gain in CPUs and would become the new AMD with both dominating the market and Intel then getting into GPUs. a New duopoly. Dell now tries to be another apple. they release a line of luxury pcs, they fail becuase overheating and PSU issues, big press is made about that. apple is LOLing at thier failed attempt. Nvidia gains partners like CyberPower PC and Asus.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Triforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
There'd be governmental intervention there, anti-trust laws and such. Since that would leave Nvidia with a monopoly on the consumer GPU market, unless they could prove to fairly compete with... themselves.
The government wouldn't intervene. A short-lived video card monopoly would be very low on their list of importance if it ever came to that. Video cards are a very tiny market. nVidia is a relatively small company in the technology sector. Add on they've had losses the past 3 years and you realize there's nothing there for the makings of a monopoly. Also with so many other manufacturers around, one would come to meet the competition.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

If Nvidia did buy AMD ::shudder:: it would not be a monopoly as Intel is the world's largest maker of graphics chips ::double shudder::.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
The government wouldn't intervene. A short-lived video card monopoly would be very low on their list of importance if it ever came to that. Video cards are a very tiny market. nVidia is a relatively small company in the technology sector. Add on they've had losses the past 3 years and you realize there's nothing there for the makings of a monopoly. Also with so many other manufacturers around, one would come to meet the competition.
True on all counts. I didn't know that they'd been making losses, though.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

I think losses is an over statement. They got punched in the gut by the short lived fermi fail, but they are on the way to success again. ATI and Nvidia both had their ups and downs when they where both individual companies.

I may be an Intel person right now, but I was always a long time AMD fan and honestly right now I am kinda scared. They must have some serious crap goin on internally for every one to just bail like that. I would be sad if they fell apart like 3dfx, but it would just prove me right.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread