AT&T Admits (Kind of) Its Network Can't Handle the iPhone - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News
Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default AT&T Admits (Kind of) Its Network Can't Handle the iPhone

AT&T recently filed a public interest statement with the FCC on its proposed T-Mobile acquisition, and in the process of doing so, comes out and says (in not so many words) that its network is ill equipped to handle Apple's iPhone, let alone the barrage of new smartphones and tablets on the horizon. Why would AT&T admit something like this? Let's have a look at the filing.

"A smartphone generates 24 times the mobile data traffic of a conventional wireless phone, and the explosively popular iPad and similar tablet devices can generate traffic comparable to or even greater than a smartphone," AT&T wrote in the filing (PDF). "AT&T's mobile data volumes surged by a staggering 8,000 percent from 2007 to 2010, and as a result, AT&T faces network capacity constraints more severe than those of any other wireless provider."

AT&T, you might recall, secured exclusive rights to Apple's iPhone back in 2007, the year that AT&T says kicked off its 8,000 percent mobile data growth. AT&T's angle to the FCC is that the problem will only worsen with time, so it should be allowed to purchase T-Mobile as planned, as it would be the in the best interest of everyone.

"[The T-Mobile] transaction will thus benefit consumers by reducing the number of dropped and blocked calls, increasing data speeds, improving in-building coverage, and dramatically expanding deployment of next-generation mobile technology," AT&T says.

These benefits will come within nine months upon network integration, AT&T claims, and will double the amount of network traffic that can be carried.

If you were playing the part of FCC, what would you do? Does AT&T present a compelling argument, or should the deal be blocked?

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: AT&T Admits (Kind of) Its Network Can't Handle the iPhone

I say blocked, AT&T has bought out nearly everyone, and buying T-Mobile wont help with the load, they need to upgrade equipment and invest in more lines.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Sounds like a smokescreen to me. They should just put more effort into actually providing quality care to their customers instead of attempting to monopolize.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Complete BS. They should not be able to acquire T_Mobile. I really hope everyone can see through their BS.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread