SETI runs out of money. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News
Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble
Default SETI runs out of money.

SETI runs out of money - Yahoo! News

SETI runs out of money

By rights, SETI - the search for extraterrestrial intelligence - should be entering its golden age. After decades of begging or borrowing time on other people's telescopes to scan the skies for repetitive radio signals suggesting intelligent life, SETI scientists finally got their own equipment a few years ago: the Allen Telescope Array (ATA) in California. The Kepler satellite, which has found more than 1,200 possible planets around other stars so far, has handed the ATA a bonanza of promising new targets, with more to come. And there is no shortage of powerful electronics and computers to analyze any incoming data - information-processing muscle that SETI pioneer Frank Drake couldn't have imagined when he first started listening to the heavens back in 1961.
So it was especially distressing to SETI fans when a letter went out a couple of days ago from Tom Pierson, CEO of the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California. "Effective this week," he wrote, "the ATA has been placed into hibernation due to funding shortfalls for operations of the Hat Creek Radio Observatory (HCRO) where the ATA is located." Admits Jill Tarter, the Institute's research director, "We've been in better shape." (See a brief history of intergalactic warfare.)
It's not the first time SETI has faced funding challenges. In the early 1980's, Wisconsin Senator William Proxmire ridiculed the whole idea of looking for ET and forced NASA to stop funding the project. In the end, a personal visit by Carl Sagan got him to reverse course. But then in 1993, Nevada Sen. Richard Bryan did it again, pointing out (weirdly) that "not a single Martian has yet been found." Since then, SETI searches have relied mostly on private money - notably, on the nearly $25 million donated by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen to help build the ATA, on the grounds of the University of California's Hat Creek Observatory.
But Allen's donation, along with money from the SETI Institute, were sufficient only for the construction of the array, not for its ongoing operations. That responsibility went the University of California - and like most public institutions in California, the University is more or less broke (it's gotten so bad that astronomers at Berkeley have been known to vacuum their own offices because so many maintenance workers have been let go). Thanks to the disastrous economy, meanwhile, private donations to the SETI Institute have dropped off. And the National Science Foundation, which also helps fund Hat Creek, is suffering along with every other institution that depends on the federal budget. (Read a Q&A with Ray Bradbury.)
"If you think of SETI as not just research but exploration," says SETI Institute Senior Astronomer Seth Shostak, "this is like sending Captain Cook to the South Pacific but not giving him any food or supplies." (Shostak, who seems to have nautical analogies to burn, told the San Jose Mercury News that the suspension is like "the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria being put into dry dock.")
But Shostak insists that all is not yet lost. "ATA is in hibernation," he says, "not embalmed." A skeleton staff is maintaining the array's 42 radio dishes, computers and other electronics so that if new funding does come through, the search will be ready to resume. The SETI Institute has issued new pleas for private donations to help make that happen, and it's conceivable - though not overwhelmingly likely - that the National Science Foundation will somehow find some money stashed away.
"We're hoping," says Tarter, "that the public will speak up about how important SETI is." A better bet is the Air Force, which is considering buying time on ATA for use as a monitoring station to keep tabs on orbital space debris that could threaten satellites.
While ATA is the most important SETI installation, it isn't the only one, and that keeps alien hunters from despairing completely. The public often assumes "SETI" and "The SETI Institute" are one and the same, but the former is an entire field of astronomy, while the latter is just one institution. There's an ongoing SETI search using the giant Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico, and Harvard astronomer Paul Horowitz is looking for aliens that might communicate with lasers rather than radio beams. "The Italians have a pretty good SETI search going on as well," says Shostak, "and there's a lot of interest in China as well."
Still, the shutdown is a blow to those who care about whether we're alone in the universe. "It's really frustrating," says Tarter. "We're here with 1,235 gorgeous new exoplanets from Kepler. This is the first time ever we've been able to say 'we know good places to look, we're not just guessing about which stars might have planets.'"
It's even better than that: Kepler is almost certain to find not just planets, but planets of about the size and temperature of Earth. That doesn't necessarily guarantee life, let alone intelligent life, let alone intelligent life that happens to use lasers or radio waves to communicate between the stars. But as MIT physicists Philip Morrison and Giuseppe Cocconi observed in a 1959 Nature paper that laid the intellectual groundwork for SETI, "The probability of success is difficult to estimate," they wrote, "but if we never search, the chance of success is zero."
I guess this means no more SETI@Home

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: SETI runs out of money.

This sucks, SETI is far more important than Folding@Home.

Visit this and do something for the world!

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

I stopped doing Seti when I found out that their servers stopped sending me projects constantly.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
This sucks, SETI is far more important than Folding@Home.
??? Trying to find cures or even how to prevent cancer and diseases should rank above finding E.T.... or ticking off his bigger cousins.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

I see where he is coming from, but don't want to start any kind of argument.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

I see Saxon's point as well but like PP I don't want to get into an argument.

Definitely sad news though. Even the slight chance that they could have been successful was enough to justify the project IMO.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Hey, there should be room enough for the both of them on this planet. It's just a shame that we have to see this happen to SETI too soon. This growing lack of interest in science is disgusting.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
There and Back again

Yep... I agree... I have 3 machines running @home projects. 2 for folding and one dedicated for SETI. I am still getting projects sent though, so I'm going to continue as long as they keep sending stuff. I would assume they would have a back log of projects they might want to try and get done.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Old 04-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
??? Trying to find cures or even how to prevent cancer and diseases should rank above finding E.T.... or ticking off his bigger cousins.
Yes, finding cures for real problems in this world is far more important than looking for something that may or may not exist.

Core i5 2500K - Asus P67 EVO - Gigabyte GTX 970 - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Mid 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13.3" - 2.6GHz core i5 - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz - 128GB - OS X El Capitan
Sony PS3 & PS4 500GB || iPhone 6s 64GB iOS 9
Closed Thread