Mythbusted: No link between mobile phones & brain cancer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Mythbusted: No link between mobile phones & brain cancer

It’s always nice knowing that devices you use on a regular basis are not causing major long term physical damage. This is exactly the conclusion that the Institute of Cancer Epidemiology in Denmark (via the BBC) came up with when they studied the link between brain cancer and mobile phones, finding, well, absolutely no link whatsoever.

They studied a whopping 358,403 mobile phone owners over 18 years to come up with the conclusion that mobile phones do not cause brain cancer. It turned out that incidence rate of cancers of the central nervous system was the same for both mobile phone users and non-mobile phone users. Even if you had been using mobile phones for more than 13 years, you are at no greater risk.

This study effectively debunks the myth that mobile phones give out dangerous waves that cause all sorts of damage to your brain. Now you can go about peacefully using your mobile phones, making calls and putting the phone up to your head like you’re supposed to, without having to worry about health risks that seemed unfounded to begin with.

Hopefully this study will also convince those people claiming to have “Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity” (EHS) that their condition is bogus. As reported by the BBC last month, some people actually believe that they feel ill from WiFi, cellular and other radio signals, so much so that they have moved to a mobile phone free zone in the United States.

EHS is not even an actual condition recognized by US medical officials…

Source

Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Default Re: Mythbusted: No link between mobile phones & brain cancer

A buddy of mine swears up and down that his phone gives off so much radiation that he gets headaches from it. I always tell him he is nutso.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nice to know
Old 11-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just Epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuTangSword View Post
Nice to know
yes, yes it is
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Mobile Phone Cancer, Mobile Phone Radiation Causes Cancer | MyMatrixWorld.com

Do cell phones cause cancer or other illnesses? | Environmental Working Group

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31...nes/index.html

For every No there is a Yes.
CPU-6100 3.3 Ghz Black Edition, MB ASUS CrossHair V, GPU Galaxy GTX 560ti X2, G.Skill Sniper 1866 4x4GB, PSU SilverStone SST-ST1000-P, WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB x2, Monitor ASUS 258VE LED BackLit, ASUS 12x BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer, IWIN BUC case, SteelSeries MERC KeyBoard,NetGear DGND3700 N600 Wireless ADSL2+
Old 11-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

The difference being none of the studies you linked to are conclusive in any way. Especially that first link, I lol'd
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Thing is... Humans are highly sensitive to electromagnetic fields... Ever hear of a fear cage? -.-
Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Mobiles phones produce no ionising radiation.
/thread

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
The difference being none of the studies you linked to are conclusive in any way. Especially that first link, I lol'd
Actually, none of any of these 'quotes' are conculsive. They are usually just a study by an "independant" someone or company or government who has an interest some how, some way and they want to give a report to conclude for their best interest. Do you personally think holding your cell phone up to your ear for hours every day does not affect you in some way? Do you not think that for some people that all the radio waves and micro waves and every kind of waves, even waves that are not known to the public via military and research do not affect them more because they are more sensitive or able to
'hear' the waves in some form? Please consider.

I did read a USA government report years ago about the effects of radio waves and other kind of waves and everything going on the 'air' and it was concluded that for the small amount of the population that was affected and the posible harm done to these people, the benefits gained by it was well acceptable.

And yes I do think there is side effects to holding a cell phone to your ear for hours everyday. But that is just my small opinion. But I am glad I do have my cell phone and am willing to use it for whatever the long term results are. Of course I just have an old timey cell phone. Sanyo Model RL-4930. Just a plain old work horse. One day I will get me one of those fancy dancy acey phones every one in the world seems to have. But like I said, My small opinion.
CPU-6100 3.3 Ghz Black Edition, MB ASUS CrossHair V, GPU Galaxy GTX 560ti X2, G.Skill Sniper 1866 4x4GB, PSU SilverStone SST-ST1000-P, WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB x2, Monitor ASUS 258VE LED BackLit, ASUS 12x BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer, IWIN BUC case, SteelSeries MERC KeyBoard,NetGear DGND3700 N600 Wireless ADSL2+
Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnotu View Post
And yes I do think there is side effects to holding a cell phone to your ear for hours everyday.
And those side effects are...?

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Closed Thread