Best Buy Employee Tackles Laptop Thief, Receives Pink Slip - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Best Buy Employee Tackles Laptop Thief, Receives Pink Slip

Being a super hero is sometimes a thankless job. Just ask Spiderman and a handful of others who have both fought for and been chased by the law. As it turns out, even being just a regular hero isn't always all that it's cracked up to be. If you require proof, sit down for a chat with Roger Kline, a 51-year-old former Best Buy employee who was shown the door after he tackled a would-be laptop thief making a mad dash with stolen merchandise.
According to a report in the Billings Gazette, Kline was a well-regarded employee and one of the top salesmen during the three years he worked at Best Buy. He had never been in any kind of trouble with the electronics retailer or had any other negative marks on his record.

"I believe I was one of the highest-regarded employees there," Kline said.

Then March 28, 2011 rolled around, That's the day a customer with sticky hands tried to bolt out the door carrying two laptops he didn't pay for. As the man ran by, Kline instinctively grabbed hold of him and tossed the would-be shoplifter to the ground, then held him there until his boss told him to let go. The laptops were valued at $1,600 combined.

For having tried to steal two laptops, the man was arrested and charged with felony theft and misdemeanor drug possession. As for Kline, surely Best Buy recognized his heroics and, at the very least, gave the guy a day off from work, right? Wrong.
Because it's against company policy to interfere with a crime-in-progress, Kline was technically breaking the rules. After a more than three-week investigation, Kline was called into the manager's office and handed an "involuntary separation notice."

"Roger, you admitted that on March 28, 2011, you pursued a shoplifter and engaged in physical force to apprehend this shoplifter," the one-page notice said. "This is a violation of Best Buy's Inappropriate Conduct Policy which states that employees are prohibited from 'pursuing shoplifters under any circumstance or using physical force to detain shoplifters' and ground for termination. Your employment with Best Buy is terminated, effective immediately."

As another testament to Kline's character, he's not so much peeved at Best Buy for making the decision to let him go. For that, he says he understands. But it's the nearly month-long wait to find out whether or not he still had a job that has him "twisted."

Source

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Best Buy Employee Tackles Laptop Thief, Receives Pink Slip

And people wonder why I hate Best Buy.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Fine. Lose your money. Why should we care?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Actually this policy is in effect in just about every retailer out there. Walmart has the same policy. No employee can touch a thief. Even if that person opens the package in front of them and sticks it in their pocket. All it takes is 1 employee to touch this person for them to sue the company as a whole. If the thief got injured not only could he sue the person who tackled him, but the company claiming they told him to do it.

I have had people do this in front of me. Open a item stick it right in their pocket and say to me "What are you gonna do about it?". Till they get arrested by the cops at the front door cause I notified mgmt and followed them being a witness to them stealing. But that is all we can do. We can not touch anyone. We will be fired for it.

I posted this for this reason. Most people dont realize that any company will do this to an employee.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Is this any different for the security guards, like at my WalMart, a separate company? Or do they have to abide by WalMart's rules?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Actually Walmart has "secret" people who are supposedly "trained" to watch and follow anyone who looks like they might steal so the average employees don't try to stop a thief. My gas station was the same way but I stopped beer run people anyways because the store would always suffer from a loss in product. They never fired me, and it is ultimately up to the company to fire the employee at question. I never got fired, and my boss was happy that I stopped potential beer run people. So I stand by my statement, I ****ing hate Best Buy and the horse they ride in on.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Walmart has their own people for assest protection. They have strict guidelines they have to follow. They can only ask them to stop and give out video footage. Not a single person who is employeed by Walmart can touch another. The only exception is on Black Friday when they actually have Cops in the store. They dont have to follow the Walmart policy. But anyone else who gets paid by them does.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Eh, that's basically what I just said. I know all about Walmart's employee base and what they can or can't do.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well this is actually something normal kinda. They were probably threatened by theif saying he was hurt and was going to sue best buy

In walmarts you are not allowed to make contact with a person only their security team is and they cant physically touch them, even if they have a gun in their bag an employee got fired for takin a kids bag because he had a gun.

Best buy on the other hand, if they see the kid take something you have to make contact with customer and be like hey you going to buy that and then at the door stand in their way and ask to see their pockets ect and say the cops are on the way. and normally when the LP is paying attention doors are locked if a guy is running at the door. Kinda sounds like all employees werent following all the procedures.
So in my opinion the LP should have been fired too for not doing his job.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

According to the article the guy didn't even have the chance to make it to the doors before he was put to the ground.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread