Xcom Enemy Unknown

It's a Final Fantasy or Shining Force style RTS, Edge. I am really on the fence about getting it. It looks awesome and got amazing reviews, but I will probably rent it first. What turned me off the most was a game play video with the developers. Any time something that didnt make sense would happen they would just say, "That's XCOM" I was like no that's stupid. For example, multiple and frequent misses on targets with 90% hit chances. In a game where characters die and don't come back, that is unacceptable.

90% still has a 10% chance to miss, I don't see how that's "unacceptable". Yea, it SUCKS, yea it would make me rage if it happened to me... but unless it said 100% chance, don't consider it a sure-hit.

To me, RTS has always meant real-time strategy, like Starcraft. Turn-based means you can walk away from the game for 12 hours, come back, and it will be exactly where you left it. (Also, Final Fantasy, to me, is not a strategy or tactics game -it's a JRPG - nor is it precisely turn-based or RTS ... FFXIII, for example, simply slowed time down while a player issued commands - it did not stop it.)

There was a FF game called Final Fantasy Tactics which is the same as XCOM. MAN I loved that game...

Still, unless you're a turn-based strategy game fan and have been dying to play one on a console, I'd suggest avoiding it.
I am a HUGE Turn Based Strategy lover. I WANT to pick it up but don't have the cash >_< I have been watching people do lets plays on the Classic difficulty with Ironman turned on. WOW that is intense. It really puts the pressure on you to keep those soldiers alive.

i was under the impression this game was gonna be some kind of fps

Originally, there was only going to be a FPS style one. After the hardcore XCOM community cried foul and 'BETRAYAL!", they announced the tactical squad based style and revamped their FPS one into a more squad focused third person shooter which is 'supposed' to still be in the works.

90% still has a 10% chance to miss, I don't see how that's "unacceptable". Yea, it SUCKS, yea it would make me rage if it happened to me... but unless it said 100% chance, don't consider it a sure-hit.

Sorry should have clarified. From what I have read and heard the misses with 90 or 95% hit chances happen way too often. So basically they were saying that the game says 95% chance but there are other factors that are hidden or some other problem with the code. I guess there was something similar in the original too. I'm definitely going to check it out, it's at the top of my list for Gamefly (which means I wont have it for 6 months lol). Just got my new Game Informer and they gave it a 9.5/10.

There was a FF game called Final Fantasy Tactics which is the same as XCOM. MAN I loved that game...

I am a HUGE Turn Based Strategy lover. I WANT to pick it up but don't have the cash >_< I have been watching people do lets plays on the Classic difficulty with Ironman turned on. WOW that is intense. It really puts the pressure on you to keep those soldiers alive.

There was a Fallout Tactics game too. That doesn't mean the Fallout series was a tactics game ;) To me, a series is what it is best known for, not the one-off game that the devs or publisher mucked around with to do something different.

And, like I said, if you're into turn-based strategy, you may like this if you can get past the graphics. I'll note that even playing on easy isn't easy. And then when I found out that the [SPOILERS] could [SPOILERS] and I had to [SPOILERS] as soon as I could to prevent them from [SPOILERS]? Yeah. I'm digging the game. It's just hard to recommend broadly, especially considering the price and the gameplay and how it looks, etc. Glad to see there's a few other folks here who are also interested in it.

Sorry should have clarified. From what I have read and heard the misses with 90 or 95% hit chances happen way too often. So basically they were saying that the game says 95% chance but there are other factors that are hidden or some other problem with the code.

90% hits do seem to miss more often than 9 out of 10 times, or even 90 out of 100. On the other hand, that could merely be perception. I'm not sufficiently invested to track % to hits and actual hits to find out how often it actually happens.

There was a Fallout Tactics game too. That doesn't mean the Fallout series was a tactics game ;) To me, a series is what it is best known for, not the one-off game that the devs or publisher mucked around with to do something different.

Said that more along the lines that there was a tactical game for FF and not that the whole FF series is tactics. I agree with what you have said about the FF series before. Even if it was an off-shoot or not a main FF game, it still required tactics similar to XCOM, which is why I meantioned it =p

I've played and was also a fan of that tactics game.

And, like I said, if you're into turn-based strategy, you may like this if you can get past the graphics. I'll note that even playing on easy isn't easy. And then when I found out that the [SPOILERS] could [SPOILERS] and I had to [SPOILERS] as soon as I could to prevent them from [SPOILERS]? Yeah. I'm digging the game. It's just hard to recommend broadly, especially considering the price and the gameplay and how it looks, etc. Glad to see there's a few other folks here who are also interested in it.

Never was much of a graphics > gameplay type of person. If the graphics aren't top notch, as long as the game is fun... I am sold ^_^

p.s. I caved. I will be buying it tonight and starting my first playthrough on Classic difficulty and WITH Ironman on. >=)

Never was much of a graphics > gameplay type of person. If the graphics aren't top notch, as long as the game is fun... I am sold ^_^

p.s. I caved. I will be buying it tonight and starting my first playthrough on Classic difficulty and WITH Ironman on. >=)

I'm not a graphics guy at all, really - I want fun. However, the graphics do stand out as seeming like something that's 10-15 years old :) Even my gf commented on them and that it doesn't look like a new game.

I'm not a graphics guy at all, really - I want fun. However, the graphics do stand out as seeming like something that's 10-15 years old :) Even my gf commented on them and that it doesn't look like a new game.

Played most of this morning, and the faces and bodies do seem very stiff and shiny... but meh. Only thing I am disappointed with so far are the bugs. Couldn't play with Ironman on since it bugs out after the 1st mission corrupting my save and need to dashboard.

currently playing on Classic...still fun though ^_^

Played most of this morning, and the faces and bodies do seem very stiff and shiny... but meh. Only thing I am disappointed with so far are the bugs. Couldn't play with Ironman on since it bugs out after the 1st mission corrupting my save and need to dashboard.

currently playing on Classic...still fun though ^_^

I finished a game up last night - somehow didn't get all the research or engineering projects done.

Wow! Already? How many hours did it take?

LOL - I've been playing it since last Sunday or Monday or so. A campaign takes about 10-20 hours maybe? Mine take longer because I tend to go everywhere and do everything. Rest assured, the campaigns aren't short - this isn't something you'll bang out in five hours and wonder what you're going to do with the rest of your weekend.

Back
Top Bottom