Xbox 360 or PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^actually with an update that they released a couple months ago you can play DIVX and what not, I use TVersity as well and never had a problem with any of my files.

can u get .mkv files to play? cuz thats the only format that wont work for me and its annoying!!!

PS3 = No Games, still developing online play
360 = Tons of games and nice online play

PS3 = Great hardware
360 = Crappy hardware

bingo. I've never played a game on xbox besides the arcade games or pong that didn't lag and stutter. The hardware is crap. A cheap dell could outperform it. But it has online play down pat, and the game selection is great. I don't know what kind of xbox you got your hands on surge. Mines a month old and it's as i said above. And yeah it runs as cool as a cucumber with all the fan crap i bought for it.

And before you argue, if it isn't the hardware causing the lousy performance, than the devellopers can't design the games worth crap.

ps3 might have great hardware, but the game selection just plain doesnt exist, and might as well forget about online play :/
the blu-ray player would be nice as well, though i can't say I really buy or rent movies anymore so it doesn't matter to me.

I bought an xbox a month ago. i'd say overall it was probably a big waste of money, too late now though. I have had some fun with it, but i definitely shouldn't have opted for the elite. the cheapo one would have sufficed.

^What games are lagging?

The 360 has some very nice hardware for a console, the only thing the PS3 has that is more powerful is the cell processor which so far has only been hurting them due to developers not wanting to code for it. PS3 has Blu ray but I dont care about BR because I am not going to pay 20-30 bucks for a blue ray movie when I can buy the same dvd version for 10-15 bucks.

Which games are messing up because I think there might be a user error going on somewhere....

user error eh. maybe. all i do is put the disc in and play. is there a walkthrough you need to follow first? :/

-Two worlds is the worst. The game looks like it was made 5 years ago but still stutters like ****.
-Kingdom under fire has noticable 'lag'.
-ninety nine nights is pretty bad (dynasty warrios style game)
-lost odyssey isn't as bad as some, especially for a newer game, but the amount of lag is unforgivable for a "next gen" console.
-Halo 3 stuttered too much for the way it looks :/ barely noticable improvement from the first halo. needs some serious AA even at full 1080p on a 24".
-GTA4 is only bad when driving fast, which is a bother since the control is bad enough. (well not bad, i just dont like it compared to the other gta's)

i guess that's all for game's i've really played. it handles rockband pretty good Lol. I wouldn't have it at all if it wasn't for the 360 exclusive games. be much easier and smoother to run them on pc. unfortunately almost none of those games are on pc, and neither will ff13 be.

judging by lost odysse ff13 will probably run like trash, or at least be a dumbed down version of what the ps3 will release :/ think i might trade for a ps3 when it's released. it's the only game i really care about. everyones gone to school for the year so rockband is kinda useless now anyway lol

i'm not trying to get into a pc vs console argument. I'm just stating from Tons of personal experience, that the hardware isn't performing half as good as i always see people arguing. it's annoying.

^I have played all those games except for two worlds and have never had problems with them.

Obviously f you want to spend ~800 on a good PC it will run games better, but your spending 2x as much then you are for the console.

I have played all those games with no "lag" as you put it. Perhaps your Xbox is faulty. If you are saying by Halo 3, you mean the online play is "laggy" then it's probably your internet. Regardless, Lost Oddyssey never lagged for me, neither did any of the rest. The 360 games are always the exact same as the PS3 equivalents, with most 360 games having the more advanced version (see the madden games and others that always had better video quality and refresh rates on 360). I'm not sure what exactly your issue is, but it's pretty isolated.

eh? by the time everything was said and done the xbox costed over 1100 after controllers, a hand full of games, and the rockband peripherals. ;p

I've never played xbox online. waste of time. i know well enough it isn't "lag' but most people have no clue anyway. s'why I used the word stutter so many times.

from what I can guess by playign and watching it's having trouble loading the information fast enough for the games to play smoothly. 'loading sutter' if you will. same happens with a rl friend of mine. i don't really know anyone else with xbox's so not like I can go around and survey people.

be defensive all you want i don't care. was simply stating from my experience that the hardware is sub-par compared to whatever console everyone seems to be making love to.
maybe i do have a faulty console, nothin I can do about it now unless I wan't to pay for it, and I don't, nor should I have to.

The Xbox never costed $1100 for all that! Rock Band with peripherals was $180 (as with every other console). Lets say you buy 3 controllers (to make 4 as 1 is included), Rock Band, and 5 games. That equals $1030 for what you described.

Buy a PS3 with 3 extra controllers, Rock Band, and 5 games: $1110
I think you're getting your numbers backwards. Even so, your argument is null because anyone who buys a console, lots of controllers, and lots of games is going to spend that much. Once again, it is not exclusive to the 360. You're trying to make arguments out of awful, misinformed points.

I'm not being defensive, just keeping the OP from making a decision based on uninformed opinions. Also, do you ever game on other things besides the Xbox 360? Have you gamed for a while? EVERY GAME will have momentary "loading stutters". It's impossible for a system to load things instantaneously. Even a $1500 computer I built would see these "loading stutters" when playing Crysis or any other game when it would change between levels, cut scenes, or check points.

You will see this exact same condition on any system, with any game. It is not an Xbox exclusive issue. You made it sound far worse than just some small stuttering here and there, so if it is as bad as you made it sound, get your Xbox replaced. Your console is only a month old and has a 1 year warranty.

^Two worlds does studder but that is because the developers made basically exceed the amount of data that needed to be transferd from the disk to the console so basically the disk is not being read fast enough for two worlds and the 360 does have a faster disk read speed the the PS3, but with the fall update you won't see that anymore because you will be able to install games to your hard drive for the 360.

What it all boils down to for me is what games a console has, the 360 has far better games then the PS3and most games don't use all 8 cores so really the only preference boost you get with the PS3 is that the games are a little bit smoother and you can only notice it if you have both of them running side by side at the same point in the game.

Games don't need blu-ray at all games are fine on the 360 the way they are they have awesome graphics and they are pretty long and with blu-ray the only difference you will notice is maybe a little bit better graphics and longer games. (Oblivion does not count because it is free-roam and uses a lot of the same things over and over again and that is why it is like 500+ hours long.) If you really want blu-ray you can get a good blu-ray player for about $250, and in a year blu-ray will probably be around $100, and the PS3 blu-ray player is not as reliable as a regular blu-ray player so it will die faster if you use it to play blu- ray A LOT.

The online play on the 360 is way better, a way better community more to do and xbox has better service then PSN.

But it is your choice, the PS3 is good for media and some games the 360 is for more hard core gamers and it can do media, I personally like the 360 better for console gaming but now that I just got my PC I am starting to like that better because games seem to be a good $10 cheaper, but most of my friends are all on Xbox LIVE.

Anyways they both do some things good but I like the 360 way more then the PS3, it really is your choice.

Actually:
PS3 = Few good games, but not enough. Online play is VERY lacking!
360 = Great online play, tons of awesome games

PS3 = Great Hardware
360 = Great Hardware

The only difference really in hardware is the CPU of the PS3, and it really will likely never be fully utilized, so it was just a waste on Sony's part. Blu-Ray is nice, which is why I bought my PS3, but streaming movies and using downloads like NetFlix and the 360 takes an advantage there.

Also, in reference to online play. The PS3 is no where NEAR the quality of 360. Why, just the other day I tried playing COD4 on PS3 and every game I got into lagged horribly, or the host quit, or the server disconnected, etc. etc. I have 20mbps/5mbps internet and NEVER lag on my 360 games. In fact, we gave up on the PS3, my friend went out and bought a 360, we came back to my apartment and enjoyed COD4 with all perfect full green connection (often times being host :D) and no disconnects, no lag. Not to mention the 360 has much easier interfaces for muting annoying people that all online services are plagued with.

Now, you may say that the PS3 is always improving the online service, well it's been near 2 years, and the service is still this much worse than Xbox Live? The saying is true. You get what you pay for, and I'd rather pay $40 for Xbox Live, than pay nothing and lag all the time for no reason other than Sony hasn't optimized their servers, matchmaking system, etc.

PS3 Home is supposed to come out and upgrade their online service, but is it supposed to improve matchmaking, server quality, connection, etc? As far as I've seen, it's just a central system makeover that lets you have a person and an apartment and launch games, etc. Does it actually even affect online play?

When it comes down to it, with the recent price cuts the 360 is the all around better buy. Some of you may say that the price difference is null when considering that PS3 has built-in wifi; well, I know that most people who game online use an ethernet connection and opt out of wireless. Wireless is good for some things, but when it comes to having a pure, constant signal, ethernet is best and that's why even with the built-in wifi, many people still just use the ethernet port. And I know I have given in to the fanboy comments, but I just can't stand watching misinformed people rant. I have experience with both systems, their hardware, and online services, and my PS3 sits there while the 360 gets all the action.

cvb, you were right, bro... I feel bad now :p

did we forget about Folding? or how about the Wii?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom