World of Warcraft Discussion Sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

netsearchesco

Beta member
I'm building a search engine for the World of Warcraft Game, for a local computer repair shop here in my town. It's just for his Customers. Would like some input from some real techies. I won't share my code, but just your general impressions will do. Please, only serious replies, and no trolls, or flamers. I can handle criticism, comments, and discourse.

Luke
Net Searches Co.

Future Tech Home - Temp Home

PS- Eventually the domain will be worldofwarcraftsearch.com. I threw the page up on my old domain. (When I use to be into conspiracy big time.) I know they have Thotbot, and I love it, but my employer wanted a more specialized search for his customers.

PSS- Also, I know nothing about the Game. Never played it. Don't know the Premise. Never studied any of the Maps, or anything to do with it. I'm just a coder, albeit I'll admit, not a very great one.

Anyway, be gentle.

I've seen worse. That said, it's a great idea but it isn't going to work until you know what you are talking about. At least Wiki it and get a general idea. Or hang out a bit on other WOW forums.

Do you have a source for your data? Thottbot runs off of user-support, that is, some end-user's optionally run an addon which collects information from the game and later upload it to their server.

And that would require having A) it become popular and user's willing to run it, B) a lot of the game knowledge. It can only be coded in WoW-based LUA.

Unless you have an alternate source...in which your site will likely not do anything 'specialized', so I'm not sure how you'd do what'cha want.

...lastly, there is no "gentle" coding - you either do, or you don't. ;)

play the game level to 70 it takes 3 months if you're dedicated and a first timer, although it took me 6 :p. and then you'll have a basis, but that still doesn't guarantee its going to work (above poster). I think to even do what your trying to do you're going to have to make it real good right off the bat so people will be like hey look a cool wow website. Theres so many alternatives out there theres, not just thottbot theres also Allakhazam.com: World of Warcraft, and etc( to lazy to link the rest). I do have an idea start a forum on that site you're trying to create once you know something about WOW and then if enough people join it, you're site may gain momentum. In the end though just tell you're boss its impossible to even start something better than thottbot, i cant see anyone i know or I for that matter seeing anything that can surpass it. Google vs Alta vista ill stick with Google. (no offense the last sentence is MHO)

be more specific..... Thottbot is a guide you can find info and guides on how to complete quests on almost any quest in world of warcarft , idk what you mean about torrent....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom