Why do people Bash Crysis??

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah sure maybe among the enthusiast class, which are the majority of people visiting tech forums... but what about John Doe who plays games for fun and doesn't worry about computers? I honestly can't see even close to a majority of people owning 22" monitors...

Like i said, many people nowadays own widescreen monitors. They even come free when you buy a system from dell, hep..etc.

I dont know many people who use crt's anymore.

When i hear enthusiast i think of an SLI 280GTX rig and a 28" screen, not a single card and 22" screen.

Crysis is a bench mark an nothing more, I have played it an it sucks worse than a elderly sump pump dealing with one very unlucky tortoise.

**** story, **** game play an its nothing more than a bench mark.

I get the same feeling.

I tried to get into it but it just doesnt feel much like a game....more like a playable 3dmark.

I think one of the biggest reasons it is bashed so much on a gaming point of view is the fact that the game starts off with a reasonably free-form approach to an otherwise linear experience, and then transcends into something not quite as good.

As has been mentioned in posts above by commandercup, there are a variety of ways in which to achieve an outcome. Typically, you have a group of koreans, in a command post, village, road block etc, and you can frequently dictate how you're going to approach, (stealthly, all guns blazing, snipe and cover, or a personal favourite, run into one of the many metal trailers making lots of noise, then watch as the AI runs haplessly between the doors making for an easy kill, etc).

In fact if you simply go from A to B in the game, you miss out huge chunks of the island. Exploring wont reward you with more missions, conversation, or anything more than simply the fact that it shows a depth that many FPS's simply don't attain, (or at least, thats the principle, personally I've found the game begins to reiterate in what you can do reasonably soon into the game, and even on delta you can simply shoot and blast your way through the majority of the sections, but there is stuff to do outside the basic objectives).

But the biggest reason its often slated (which I am getting to :p) is the fact that given this freeform approach initially, you suddenly (SPOILER ALERT) find yourself admist aliens in horrible even-more-linear-than-before sections of the game, with a quite frankly horrible "labyrinth" level in an anti-gravity section which serves no purpose other than to really annoy the player. Its a change of pace to the game which isn't a particulalry good one, and sees you having to play rubbishy scenarios like "protect your friend" and "mounted gun on the back of a jeep", which again takes away from what Crysis is trying to achieve (IMHO).

In addition, I found the game to be far too short, and obviously it has performance issues, though I have just upgraded to a 64-bit OS and have noticed a considerable increase in performance using the 64-bit Crysis.

Saying all that, however, its still worth getting the game to play through, even if its just borrowing it off a friend or waiting till it goes budget.

ur guys game experience, what u do in the game, where u venture off to, and how u approach enemies and such determines how u like or value the game. People do different stuff in the game n i guess people here who played or own Crysis just dont like the 'free to rom n do what u want' games. I personally think that that's cool. I just wish my computer can run the game or at least the demo. I'm still looking into Crysis Warhead.

oh n SirSnake made a good point about the nano suit. U can die faster then the enemies can, lol. I remember that when playing the demo. A simple mod could change this however.

ur guys game experience, what u do in the game, where u venture off to, and how u approach enemies and such determines how u like or value the game. People do different stuff in the game n i guess people here who played or own Crysis just dont like the 'free to rom n do what u want' games. I personally think that that's cool. I just wish my computer can run the game or at least the demo. I'm still looking into Crysis Warhead.

oh n SirSnake made a good point about the nano suit. U can die faster then the enemies can, lol. I remember that when playing the demo. A simple mod could change this however.

free to roam and do what you want has nothing to do with it, the game just bores me and feels like a playable benchmark as others said.

My reason for not liking Crysis...

I will blame Oero's (or back then K M A N ). For a while it was Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis in his post. However one day he started a thread complaining that he would have to spend another £700-something in upgrades just to he could play this game. He was rather upset about it as at the time he just purchase a new gaming rig.
And that was the final straw with that game.

Apart from that, it's not the fact that my PC might not be up to this requirements (not sure, but I am interested to try), it just that Stealth FPS games I do not have the patience for. When it comes to FPS games, giving guns blazing combat. Not the sneaking around BS.

I think one of the biggest reasons it is bashed so much on a gaming point of view is the fact that the game starts off with a reasonably free-form approach to an otherwise linear experience, and then transcends into something not quite as good.

But the biggest reason its often slated (which I am getting to :p) is the fact that given this freeform approach initially, you suddenly (SPOILER ALERT) find yourself admist aliens in horrible even-more-linear-than-before sections of the game, with a quite frankly horrible "labyrinth" level in an anti-gravity section which serves no purpose other than to really annoy the player. Its a change of pace to the game which isn't a particulalry good one, and sees you having to play rubbishy scenarios like "protect your friend" and "mounted gun on the back of a jeep", which again takes away from what Crysis is trying to achieve (IMHO).

Your totally right about the latter levels, they are horrid... It was quite bizarre how they had such a transition from open world to small corridor... its as if they ran out of money! :eek:

My reason for not liking Crysis...

I will blame Oero's (or back then K M A N ). For a while it was Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis in his post. However one day he started a thread complaining that he would have to spend another £700-something in upgrades just to he could play this game. He was rather upset about it as at the time he just purchase a new gaming rig.
And that was the final straw with that game.

Apart from that, it's not the fact that my PC might not be up to this requirements (not sure, but I am interested to try), it just that Stealth FPS games I do not have the patience for. When it comes to FPS games, giving guns blazing combat. Not the sneaking around BS.

Thats the misconception SirnSnake and I were talking about... its not a Steath FPS game... its what you want to make it... You can play it as a run and gun shooter using defense and cover as well as mass amounts of explosives... or you can just jump on a jeep's turret! alternatively you can sneak around, using quiet and darts and such to take out enemies... thats the genius of the game! It lets you pick how you want to play! (atleast in the first few areas) You can always just zip by all the enemies and run directly to the objectives and complete those without killing anyone.

Thats the misconception SirnSnake and I were talking about... its not a Steath FPS game... its what you want to make it... You can play it as a run and gun shooter using defense and cover as well as mass amounts of explosives... or you can just jump on a jeep's turret! alternatively you can sneak around, using quiet and darts and such to take out enemies... thats the genius of the game! It lets you pick how you want to play! (atleast in the first few areas) You can always just zip by all the enemies and run directly to the objectives and complete those without killing anyone.

Noted. I guess the other thing is that FPS are really not interesting me as much as they used to. Sure I might play a little bit of UT3. However over the last few years, I have been finding myself having more enjoyment from MMOs.

yeah, playing the same genre for a while can get tiring... its nice to take breaks from the more popular genres (IE. FPS')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom