Whats the point of owning all systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a thread of someone stating that they own a PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 and a PC for gaming.

What is the point of owning all those systems? You can't play them all at once. You lose money as time passes by.

I have all three and a PC.

I have the Xbox because that is my main gaming system of them all. IMO it beats every system and the PC because of the LIVE system. It's so easy to team up with friends and go from game to game all the same time staying in a party chat. If you want to switch from party chat to the game chat you push one button. I typically do this to talk some trash then go back to party chat. LOL :p

I have the PS3 because I convinced myself I need a blu ray player and I want to play some PS3 games. If it wasn't for Killzone 2 then the PS3 would collect dust. However I got the 80gb version for $280 so not to shabby.

I have the Wii for my daughter and my girlfriend. They love mario kart. It's also fun to put in some party games like bowling. Kick back with some friends, drink beer and talk some trash in house.

I have the PC because well, PC gaming is really where it is at. If there could be some sort of LIVE system that the world would adopt to PC gaming then I think it would dominate. Also one of the major things with me and PC gaming is sim racing. I'm a sim racer. See below :)

sim_setup_4.jpg

sim_setup_2.jpg

sim_setup_1.jpg

sim_setup_3.jpg

Quite simply they either love games, love to collect them, or want to try out every game on every system. I owned all 4 "next gen" systems at one point (counting PC), but then I realized not much interested me on the Wii passed Wii Sports, so that is gone. Now after I've finished Killzone 2, I have a feeling my PS3 will also be on it's way out for similar reasons. I've discovered that I just don't have the time try out the games on other systems, and the PC/360 is plenty for what I need. Plus from selling my PS3, I'll pick up a Blu-Ray standalone player and then buy a new TV stand so I can fix up that mess of electronics in my living room!

I came across a thread of someone stating that they own a PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 and a PC for gaming.

What is the point of owning all those systems? You can't play them all at once. You lose money as time passes by.

Exclusives games that are only avalable on one platform. The current generation consoles, it not that bad. However this was not the case with the previous generation consoles.
Like I have a Xbox, I am considering about picking up a Wii some time as there are some games I am extremely interested in. If the Playstation 3 could bring out more games like Time Crisis 4, i do see myself picking up one of them too.

Why is the sky blue?
Why is water wet?
Why ask why

1) Water and dust particles in the atmosphere refract, deflect and absorb different frequencies of light. Its just by chance that the current composition of out atmosphere allows more light through that is of the blue frequency making it appear blue as that is the main frequency contacting our eyes. On other planets the sky could be any colour in the spectrum.

2) The viscosity of the liquid is low and has a high strength surface retention layer. This leads to water when greater quantity is given to move as a fluid but residual drips remain due to friction between our skin and the surface retention. The English language has chosen to name this phenonmenon as "wet" which is quite fanciful and novel as the latin water for moisture at different levels are umor, umere and umidus, hence why we have the word humid.

3) To push out current boundaries of what is possible and measurable in the creation of more beautiful and normally destructive premises. TNT was invented as a guy (can't remember name atm) lost his brother to a nitroglycerin explosion through this he tried to discover why nitroglycerin was so unstable. Through the course of his experiments he discovered a way to make nitroglycerin in jelly and later solid form which was much less likely to spontaneousl combust.

Why collect items of similar potential is to provide knowledge for future generations and share a common interest. I found this site to be quite interesting others may not;
Retro Computer Museum

I wish I still had my Intellivision....I used to love that Horse Racing game, where you would place your bets on the horses.....never found another game like that one again......it was a classic.

1) Water and dust particles in the atmosphere refract, deflect and absorb different frequencies of light. Its just by chance that the current composition of out atmosphere allows more light through that is of the blue frequency making it appear blue as that is the main frequency contacting our eyes. On other planets the sky could be any colour in the spectrum.

2) The viscosity of the liquid is low and has a high strength surface retention layer. This leads to water when greater quantity is given to move as a fluid but residual drips remain due to friction between our skin and the surface retention. The English language has chosen to name this phenonmenon as "wet" which is quite fanciful and novel as the latin water for moisture at different levels are umor, umere and umidus, hence why we have the word humid.

3) To push out current boundaries of what is possible and measurable in the creation of more beautiful and normally destructive premises. TNT was invented as a guy (can't remember name atm) lost his brother to a nitroglycerin explosion through this he tried to discover why nitroglycerin was so unstable. Through the course of his experiments he discovered a way to make nitroglycerin in jelly and later solid form which was much less likely to spontaneousl combust.

Why collect items of similar potential is to provide knowledge for future generations and share a common interest. I found this site to be quite interesting others may not;
Retro Computer Museum
LOL thanks for the explanation.

Anyways, in total I've owned a Sega Genesis 32-Bit, PS1, N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, a VAIO P4 PC, and now a Gateway Core2Duo Laptop. I've sold everything on the list in the previous sentence besides my Laptop and Xbox 360.

I'm studying economics in college right now and having an overabundance of consoles would be a diminishing return. Just like Surgevel said, "I've discovered that I just don't have the time try out the games on other systems, and the PC/360 is plenty for what I need." You can only have so much fun and satisfaction that having an extra system with games on top of your PC/ Xbox 360 would just yield diminishing returns to the point that there isn't any progress. Just imagine that there are 10 cubicles available in an office for people to work on. If you have 8 people, 2 cubicles are missing and therefore the company is losing money. If you add 2 more people then it satisfies the 10 person maximum. If you add any more than 10, then those people are just sitting around doing nothing.

Having anything besides a pc creates diminishing returns. All I have is pc and ps3, and the ps3 does not get a lot of use. When a big game comes out, I get it, beat it, play a little multiplayer, and then I'm done. I just go back and play the same pc games over and over again. The only ps3 game I have that has lasted with me playing it for multiple months was soul calibur 4 as it was a fighter, and I really like having those custom characters and using them online. Now all my data is gone, I've lost all my clothes and accessories, and I no longer desire to play it. I don't want to have to get all my stuff again. It's too bad the ps3 rejects foreign game saves :(

I must admit though, I do use the ps3 to stream episodes of tv shows I missed, and I watch them when I go to bed on my 32" 720 LCD in my room. Otherwise it would have been a waste. Even when I was still gaming on my old comp that had:
pentium D 3.2 Ghz
Nvidia 6800
1GB of ram till the last two months when it was upgraded to 3 but only 2 detected by my OS for some reason

I still liked pc better.

yeah i know what u mean by playing PC games over and over. I played DotA literally for a whole month every day and I still wasn't bored of it.

In Xbox 360 I play CoD: WaW for hours at max until I get bored and want to play another game. though cod is my best online gmae that i can play over and over.

I wish I still had my Intellivision....I used to love that Horse Racing game, where you would place your bets on the horses.....never found another game like that one again......it was a classic.
A lot of those games were ported to PC, Intellivision Lives I think the site is called.

edit: all legal I might add, the fellow bought the software licenses and everything. I'm not sure whats free and whats not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom