Weekend Gaming

How was Shadow of war?? I am nearly done with Amalur- reckoning. I got Mad Mex for cheap, but have not started it yet.

Amalur was one of my favorite games, I would love even a digital version for PS4. Shadow of War is pretty much exactly the same as I remember Shadow of Mordor being, with the exception of building an Orc army and some of the story content (Shelob Memories and finding all of the Ithildin to unlock items instead of just collecting them). That's not a detractor though, it still feels very in-depth and engaging. I love what this game has brought, even if it's mechanically an amalgamation of other games. Thematically, aesthetically, it's exactly what it needs to be. It's also different from any other game I play, so it inherently causes me to play through it differently, and there's plenty in there I could use some work on to be sure.

I was playing through Skyrim and decided to stop and wait for the VR version next year.
Skyrim VR looks f*cking magnificent until I have to fight a Frostbite Spider. Not sure I can get past that.

Amalur was one of my favorite games, I would love even a digital version for PS4. Shadow of War is pretty much exactly the same as I remember Shadow of Mordor being, with the exception of building an Orc army and some of the story content (Shelob Memories and finding all of the Ithildin to unlock items instead of just collecting them). That's not a detractor though, it still feels very in-depth and engaging. I love what this game has brought, even if it's mechanically an amalgamation of other games. Thematically, aesthetically, it's exactly what it needs to be. It's also different from any other game I play, so it inherently causes me to play through it differently, and there's plenty in there I could use some work on to be sure.

Skyrim VR looks f*cking magnificent until I have to fight a Frostbite Spider. Not sure I can get past that.
I played those jump scare games at work, I think I can deal with the spider. Maybe.

I played those jump scare games at work, I think I can deal with the spider. Maybe.

Their little chirps and the fact that they F*CKING LEAP AT YOU aaaauughhhh I would definitely have to power through the first few of them to feel comfortable with the idea that I'm not actually being eaten alive. They're so flippin gruesome, even on console. If I can't kill them with a bow and arrow or my follower, I'm usually just try to avoid them.

ya obviously- but since I have never done it - I wanted to make sure I was "good to go" - once I decide on purchasing the Headset. You mentioned a second generation setup- whats that? Should I wait to purchase VR equipment since the tech is moving forward soo quickly or not?

2nd gen could be anytime between now and 2020. Basically a lot of improvements are expected between generations of Rift and Vive, most notably 4k screens and possibly retinal focus rendering (there's a specific name for it but can't think of it off the top of my head).
We have already seen an off brand 4k per eye "second gen" headset come out of China that Linus did a preview on. Any news on Vive and Rift second gen headsets are rumor as of right now. I suspect if we see anything at CES we should get something in 2018 or 2019 but hard to say as from what it sounds like they want to bring price down for more market impact. This would include giving it time for the tech to mature a bit (screen tech and GPU power).

I'm currently looking for a second hand Vive myself as personally I don't think we'll see second gen stuff until 2019 or 2020.

Edit: Foveated rendering, that's what it's called. Also LG should be coming to market with something fairly soon, but whether it's good or not is to be seen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom