Twitch Guru's article on HD gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/01/31/is-hd-worth-the-leap-for-gamers/

Does anybody find it kind of, well....dumb, to put PC in the 360 and PS3 comparison?

I think this sentence kind of had me a bit confused-

"The PC, meanwhile, is not really an HD platform at the moment."

They're basing that statement off the fact that PC's don't come with a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. This is mostly true, but some do.

But why would they say that, when PC's are more then capable at running games much higher then 1280x1080?

Then their's this paragraph-

"At the moment, HDCP-capable monitors are coming onto the market, in the form of the 30" HP LP3065, and some of Dell's new UltraSharp displays. HDCP-capable graphics cards are basically the new breed of DirectX 10 / Windows Vista compliant cards, namely the GeForce 8800 at this point"

Now the first part of the paragraph is ****ing stupid. That 30" HP monitor goes for almost $2,000. Now for $2,000 you could get a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV that supports 1080p.

"HDCP-capable graphics cards are basically the new breed of DirectX 10 / Windows Vista compliant cards, namely the GeForce 8800 at this point"

Ummm, wtf? Their are plenty of cards that support HDCP, just look at the link below me for a full list-

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071342

lol theotis answering your own post :D

however it got me thinking that because PC's already have HD resolutions what is the difference between pc monitors and HDTVs?

the only noticeable difference i see is the sizes. HDTVs are preferably 30"+ while PC monitors arent bigger than 24"

also if you check major retailers and online stores you can see that there are hdcp compatible monitors that are less than 30" (20-24" to be precise)
maybe they werent on sale at the time the article was written...

anyways i do agree with their conclusion which said that HD is not necessary at this point... at least for gamers it isnt
i mostly agree because there are still issues with the many formats (dvi hdmi component and hdcp restrictions) that makes it frustrating getting HD working right.
just wait until the dust settles and all these issues have been addressed then get your HD on (wow i fail at puns)

edit: i just recently bought a geforce 7900gt i hope its hdcp compatible :p

I had a hard time trying to figure out what they mean by "HD content". If you mean games then PC games are already at HD resolutions, which would be 1280x1024 (1,310,720 pixels), 1600x1200(1,920,000), and higher. Considering that 720p is 1280x720, and 1080p is 1920x1080 (2,073,600), these "HD" tv's are not much more sharp than a modern computer monitor. In fact, my crappy 7 year old 17" CRT, running at 1280x1024, is more sharp than a 60" HDTV, and this is because the pixels are more concentrated than it is on the TV. On my monitor it's 1.31 million pixels are spread over an area roughly 1 square foot, while on the HDTV, it's 2.07 million pixels are spread over 5-6+ square feet.

When it comes to games, output resolution is really all you have to worry about, so I don't understand exactly what they are saying in this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom