Thumbprint Required To Trade Used Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Thumbprint Required To Trade Used Games

What the heck is going on in Florida? Thumbprints required to trade in used games? Are stolen video games that big of a problem in the sunshine state?

Broward County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kayla Concepcion said the new requirement comes straight from the Florida Legislature, which enacted a law... that treated video games like second-hand goods sold at pawn shops. Now any store buying used video games has to collect the thumb prints, along with a bunch of other personal info about the seller.

I have know a few of my freinds where some one has broken into a house and stole DVD and Console Collections, but left the behind a lot of the electrical good.
Sure the game console might be worth on value, but you can easly get a lot more money for a big enough game collection.

It has gotten kind of bad in some areas, with gamestop and SEVERAL other places trading cash for used movies and games, it's going to get a bit worse, hence the reason game stop requires ID and signature when trading games/consoles in for cash/credit.

Most of the games store down here will only trade in games for instore credit. Pawn shops on the other hand will still give out cash.

You are normally getting better value for money with the instore credit. However if the game shop is still screw you over $10 per game. $10 times number of stole games can quickly add up.

I my area, I do have plenty of pawn shops. If i get one of my local clients coming in telling me about how their laptop has been stolen, i tell them to check at the pawn shops and check the serial numbers if they happen to see some thing looking simulare. Same could be said with game consoles. However games on the other hand would be impossible track / prove. You really have a have snowball's chance of proving that XYZ game was orginally your property unless you start marking your discs.

While I do not care for the idea of it, I cannot say I blame them. Even in the little town I live in there are significant problems with game and movie theft for used resale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom