Talk me out of buying a Retron 5....please

Omoplata

Golden Master
For $99 this thing plays NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA and Famicom games and supports HDMI. I am so tempted to get the damn thing. I used to just play these on my PC, but I mainly use a laptop now and this seems more convenient for me at this time. Thoughts?

Talk you out? Son of a... damn it you just talked me into it! lol sorry, but this thing looks amazing and I don't even want it now, I want it yesterday.

I've been eyeing this since it was announced. Do they have a release date now too?

No, I don't think so, but they make it sound like it will be soon. It sounds amazing. I have been wanting to play through FZero, Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Punchout, Phantasy Star IV and A Link to the Past on the original systems again for a long time now. The Retron 4, which is out, supports everything the 5 does except Famicom games.

@Edge lol yeah that is what just happened to me. My friend just got his old SNES and NES back from his brother and now I am super jealous.

the only thing that should stop you is do you still have the games

I do somewhere, but most of them can be had for under $20 each and you can do lots on Ebay and get amazing deals.

Correction- They never made a 4th version. Apparently it went right from 3, which played NES, Genesis and SNES, to 5. The 4th was in the works, but they scrapped it.

I'm just excited the thing has an HDMI out. I have my NES and SNES in my arcade cabinet right now and they look terrible because they're connected using those old RF switches. I have multiple RF switches and every one of them has a short in the wire somewhere. Plus this thing is going to eliminate a huge mess of wires.

I'm just excited the thing has an HDMI out. I have my NES and SNES in my arcade cabinet right now and they look terrible because they're connected using those old RF switches. I have multiple RF switches and every one of them has a short in the wire somewhere. Plus this thing is going to eliminate a huge mess of wires.

They still won't look that great.

They still only have certain quality they can go up to, and they'll be resized to 4:3; if you force it to 16:9 or 16:10, it would look stretched and not as great.

I'll just save myself the $100 and keep playing them on my laptop/tablet ;).

Exactly. You either have to put them away to avoid the clutter or have a big(ger) tangle behind your entertainment center/game cabinet. I'm really considering getting this damned thing and putting modern games on the back burner for a bit. It would be fun collecting the rarer games and playing them. We have several retro gaming stores in our area that sell the games and system components too.

They still won't look that great.

They still only have certain quality they can go up to, and they'll be resized to 4:3; if you force it to 16:9 or 16:10, it would look stretched and not as great.

I'll just save myself the $100 and keep playing them on my laptop/tablet ;).

+100 points for trying, but I'm still not convinced Carnage :) You are right, they don't look great, but compared to modern systems, they never will. I play the Genesis collection on the Xbox and it looks fine! It's more of a convenience thing and emulators just don't get most games right. Sometimes that detracts from the experience.

Back
Top Bottom