So i got myself a PS3..

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I mean is that it feels much better built and that's probably the one thing that even the 360 fanboys I've spoken to always agreed with....until now! :rolleyes: Add the fact that Sony has been making great quality equipment for decades and that Microsoft is, in comparison, relatively new to it, and it is not strange either, now, is it?

That I will agree with, Sony makes great stuff. I have a Sony 46 LCD tv that looks and functions awesome!

Actually, the PS3 has not had the lead in Others/EU/Africa/ME for many months. I think they have sold more for one week out of the last 25.

You obviously don't know how to navigate the 360's interface. If you really think the 360's interface which includes a great search feature, fast loading graphic lists, the ability to search by what's new, popular, or top rated, and very simple structure is that bad, never buy a PS3. The PS Store and the XMB is 10x worse when it comes to this stuff. This is actually one of the reasons I just sold my PS3 and bought a stand alone blu-ray player and a new TV stand.

Also, I don't know what you mean by the "non-substantial plasticky build" because every console is made of mostly plastic. That includes the PS3 and the Wii. The internals of the 360 are not plastic. The only other plastic part is the air flow vent.

Didn't you have your ps3 earlier in this thread? Did you work up the nerve to get rid of it because of this thread? lol

As far as the gpu's go, all the facts we have here points to ps3 having the best one. Killzone2 does as well. Granted that it is very well optimized, the graphics just blow me out of the water. Although some textures aren't as good, overall, the graphics are comparable to Crysis vanilla (have not played warhead so I don't know there). Also, my comparison was based off of Killzone2 on a 32" 720p LCD TV vs. Crysis on a 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor.

Btw, my ps3's psu (I'm assuming) crapped out on me just after my one year warranty ended, and I had to pay $150 to get if fixed. I don't hate the ps3, but I do hate Sony. At least they let me have the same model back since they are getting stingy with the backwards compatibility. I have the CECHE01, which is the 80 GB with emulated backwards compatibility. It works though, so I've no complaints. I'm glad I didn't way for another price cut on that though since there hasn't been one, and now backwards compatibility is gone.

My bros' xbox broke twice. The first time it was rrod, so it was covered, but the second time it was $90 cause it was only a single quarter-ring. I can forsee them paying for that again. Kinda sucks. Lol, my friend is avoiding buying games on 360 because he is afraid it is going to rrod if he turns it on. He gets ****ed when they don't bring stuff out on ps3 that normally would be. Like he has Ninja Gaiden Sigma for ps3, and he likes it, but he isn't getting number 2 because he is afraid. It might as well be broken.

I did in fact sell my PS3 just a few days ago. It was kind of building up lately. I was just waiting for Killzone 2 to come out and play before I got rid of it. I know I probably favor the 360 more since I bought it before the PS3 even came out, and have had so many great experiences with it, but I still feel like I've had a more objective view when it comes to both consoles. The 360 has sold many more, thus all my friends have them and make online worth playing. The features of XBL are universal where on PSN only some games feature a party system, and there is no private chat during games. My Xbox broke once with RROD and has been fine since. My cousins PS3 broke twice because of the Blu-Ray drive failing, and both times that was a $150 fix. Sure both consoles have their issues, but at least the majority of issues with the 360 are covered via 3 year warranty, where as the PS3 is one year for the entire thing. I agree that Sony does make quality products, and it is definitely undeniable that the PS3 was more reliable than the original 360's, but with the last revision to the 360 motherboard and heatsinks, I can almost guarantee they are equally reliable.

And as far as the GPU, here are the full specs of both, compared:

Triangle Setup
Xbox 360 - 500 Million Triangles/sec
PS3 - 250 Million Triangles/sec

Vertex Shader Processing
Xbox 360 - 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 2.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 16 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 1.5 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 12 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 8 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
PS3 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec

Filtered Texture Fetch
Xbox 360 - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec
PS3 - 12.0 Billion Texels/sec

Vertex Texture Fetch
Xbox 360 - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec
PS3 - 4.0 Billion Texels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing with 16 Filtered Texels Per Cycle (Pixel ALU x Clock)
Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 20.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 40 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 18.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 36 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 32 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
PS3 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing without Textures (Pixel ALU x Clock)
Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 20.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 40 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 18.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 36 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 32 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
PS3 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Multisampled Fill Rate
Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz)
PS3 - 8.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz)

Pixel Fill Rate with 4x Multisampled Anti-Aliasing
Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz / 4)
PS3 - 2.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz / 4)

Pixel Fill Rate without Anti-Aliasing
Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)
PS3 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)

Frame Buffer Bandwidth
Xbox 360 - 256.0 GB/sec (dedicated for frame buffer rendering)
PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with other graphics data: textures and vertices)
PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)
PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)

Texture/Vertex Memory Bandwidth
Xbox 360 - 22.4 GB/sec (shared with CPU)
Xbox 360 - 14.4 GB/sec (with 8.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)
Xbox 360 - 12.4 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)
PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with frame buffer)
PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)
PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)

Shader Model
Xbox 360 - Shader Model 3.0+ / Unified Shader Architecture
PS3 - Shader Model 3.0 / Discrete Shader Architecture

Xbox 360 has the advantage in most cases.

I guess it does have the advantage according to that, but killzone2 is still top dog.

That 3 year warranty does not cover the majority of the issues. It covers the RROD. That is it. At least that is what tech support told my bros when they called in with their second break.

I guess it does have the advantage according to that, but killzone2 is still top dog.

That 3 year warranty does not cover the majority of the issues. It covers the RROD. That is it. At least that is what tech support told my bros when they called in with their second break.

That's why you give it the RRoD :D

Xbox 360 has the advantage in most cases.

That list was made almost 6 months before ps3 was released, you should quote the rest of it

"Let's look at the maximum theoretical numbers for the Xbox 360 and PS3 GPUs.

Triangle Setup
etc"

"Some PS3 GPU (RSX) specs are still not confirmed as final. It's assumed to have 24 pixel pipelines, 8 vertex pipelines, 8 ROPS (raster), and 550MHz clock speed. But any of those could change, especially the clock speed."

They still hadn't confirmed the specs of the ps3 by then.
Just puttin in my $0.02

That list was made almost 6 months before ps3 was released, you should quote the rest of it

"Let's look at the maximum theoretical numbers for the Xbox 360 and PS3 GPUs.

Triangle Setup
etc"

"Some PS3 GPU (RSX) specs are still not confirmed as final. It's assumed to have 24 pixel pipelines, 8 vertex pipelines, 8 ROPS (raster), and 550MHz clock speed. But any of those could change, especially the clock speed."

They still hadn't confirmed the specs of the ps3 by then.
Just puttin in my $0.02

Look even further down since you are so concerned. They posted an update message where once the final PS3 specs came out things were updated with the correct specs. What I posted were the updated specs as of PS3 launch. That's my final 2 pennies :p

or instead of comparing horsepower... just look at the content of what the console can play...

From the top; I have always hated PS controllers. They are so incredibly unnatural feeling and awkward to the point of not being able to play. 360 controllers are the most ergonomically designed controllers yet.

Sure playstation has thousands of games, but the simple fact is that many of them are just not that great, unless you have an IQ of around 83. The simple repetitiveness I have observed in many PS games drives me away from even considering getting one. Button mashers are lame.

Sure you have to wait longer between 360 titles, but the epic games are rich enough to entertain you for months on end. I played Chaos Theory for literally a year. I played Double Agent for nearly as long. Then I played Forza for months, and Test Drive Unlimited.

Ever watch a PS fan? changing games ever 10 minutes. That's okay because they are a dime a dozen.

I still fail to see how all this 360 talk and downright PS3 bashing fits into a "So I got myself a PS3" thread.... The OP has owned two XBOXs and seems to have made his mind....

^Very good observation. I think the whole "bashing" was brought on by the other individuals who were bashing the 360, but I don't wanna look back through to find out which side started things. I wasn't really trying to bash the PS3, I was just offering my personal experience and my knowledge of the two systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom