Running Quicktime 3.0 on a Win7 64bit machine

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all,

I've take a bit of a trip down memory lane and started re-installing some of old games I use to play on my Windows 95 and 98 machines. With one game I was trying to reinstall, Star Wars: The Gungan Frontier, I can complete the installation successfully on my Windows 7 64-bit machine using compatibility mode for Windows 95 on the Setup.exe file. However, when I go to launch the game, I receive an error regarding the Quicktime 3.0 check/installation.

I've looked around a bit and have found a potential cause and solution for this (found here: Can I install Star wars episode 1 The gungan frontier on a - Fixya), but I'm not sure I fully understand it? Where would I be able to find a valid QuickTime.qts file? Beyond that, is there another way I could go about working around this QuickTime 3.0 issue? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! As always, thank you for your time and feedback.

Happy Holidays!!

There can be compatibility issues with 16bit programs on a 64 bit operating system.
What you can do is download quicktime 3.0 from here and see what it does.

Have you tried Gog.com? They have a ton of old games on there for cheap. They have all been configured to run on a modern PC. That site is awesome.

Have you tried Gog.com? They have a ton of old games on there for cheap. They have all been configured to run on a modern PC. That site is awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried GOG, but I guess most of the games I've enjoyed to play as a kid (including this one), haven't made it there yet.

There can be compatibility issues with 16bit programs on a 64 bit operating system.
What you can do is download quicktime 3.0 from here and see what it does.

Thanks jpross, I will give this a try. I was hoping to try and "trick" the game into working, but it appears I may have to actually install this version of QuickTime. I'm not familiar with site you linked to, I would assume downloads from there are safe? I appreciate your help!

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried GOG, but I guess most of the games I've enjoyed to play as a kid (including this one), haven't made it there yet.

Thanks jpross, I will give this a try. I was hoping to try and "trick" the game into working, but it appears I may have to actually install this version of QuickTime. I'm not familiar with site you linked to, I would assume downloads from there are safe? I appreciate your help!

Yes, I downloaded it myself to make sure it was okay :)

Yes, I downloaded it myself to make sure it was okay :)

Much appreciated jpross! Thank you for the assurances.

Over the Christmas holiday, I came across a copy of Windows XP 32-bit. Would a simpler approach be to set up a Virtual Machine running Windows XP and host the games on there? My desktop has 8 GB RAM, so splitting that to 4 GB shouldn't be an issue. Was just wondering if this might be simpler solution since I have about a dozen old games I'd like to reinstall over time.

As always, I appreciate your time and feedback. Thank you!

You probably don't want to hear this (although it'd be real cheap), but build yourself a 98 box like I did for older games. Get the full hardware sound experience and I suggest grabbing yourself a Voodoo card as well. I personally enjoy doing this, but I know others snub their nose at dealing with the older stuff. I just like an easy legit old game experience and it's cheap because of the old hardware.

If you do this I can hook you up with the software you'll need to make 98se run real good. And yes, you can run your newer monitor on the older stuff.

Much appreciated jpross! Thank you for the assurances.

Over the Christmas holiday, I came across a copy of Windows XP 32-bit. Would a simpler approach be to set up a Virtual Machine running Windows XP and host the games on there? My desktop has 8 GB RAM, so splitting that to 4 GB shouldn't be an issue. Was just wondering if this might be simpler solution since I have about a dozen old games I'd like to reinstall over time.

As always, I appreciate your time and feedback. Thank you!

You could try - depends on how well the game will cooperate with the other virtual hardware, such as the CPU/GPU/sound.

Back
Top Bottom