Red Cross objects to usage of symbol in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Looks like the red cross is trying to move from making money from Door Knock Appeals to Legal Litigation of the copy right of their symbol.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62804
Red Cross gets a bit cross
The British Red Cross has told Eurogamer's sister site, GamesIndustry.biz, that it hopes to work with developers to prevent the "illegal and detrimental" misuse of the red cross emblem in videogames in the future.

"It is important for videogame manufacturers not to use the emblem in their games, including for matters related to its humanitarian purpose, such as first aid or general medical care," said Michael Meyer, head of international law for the British Red Cross.

"The use of the emblem in videogames is both illegal and detrimental to the special protective value of the emblem."

Meyer's comments come after US website GameLaw.org published a letter from David Pratt of the Canadian Red Cross complaining about the "unauthorised and indeed illegal use of the Red Cross emblem by the [gaming] industry."

"The fact that the Red Cross is also used in [videogames] which contain strong language and violence is also of concern to us in that they directly conflict with the basic humanitarian principles espoused by the Red Cross movement," Pratt stated.

Meyer said this view was shared by the British Red Cross, which "has been aware of this problem for a number of years" and would welcome a dialogue with game developers "in order to prevent further misuse of the emblem and to try to stop current misuses."

"We would be willing to work with a videogame manufacturer to produce a game which shows the emblem in its correct use, as a symbol of protection during armed conflict, and where the player is rewarded for using the emblem correctly. Such a game could reward the player for respecting the rules of war and thereby, help the Red Cross Movement with its work to promote such respect," Meyer continued.

"The help of videogame manufacturers in protecting the integrity of the emblem, and upholding its special meaning, would be much appreciated."

The stupid thing that the red cross is used every were to symbolise FIRST AID. I guess it means we are going to have to move over to the Green/White Cross.
image_8.jpg

Exactly, when I see a red cross I don't think about the Red Cross orginization I think of first aid or medicine.

Harper said:
Meyer said this view was shared by the British Red Cross, which "has been aware of this problem for a number of years"

I didn't realize that was a problem...

My view of the Red Cross has not changed from a noble humanitarian group to a unmoral orginization becuase I saw a red cross in a game that says f*ck in it's dialog.

Its called symbolization right?

The cross has religious meaning and so does the color red.

Symbols like that don't belong to ANYONE....

[url]www.eurogamer.net[/url] said:
Meyer said this view was shared by the British Red Cross, which "has been aware of this problem for a number of years" and would welcome a dialogue with game developers "in order to prevent further misuse of the emblem and to try to stop current misuses."
I really like to know which game it's being mis-used in. Like all the game I have playied in, I see a red cross, Therefore that means health or first aid or healing.

Eg. World Of War Craft First Aid.
FirstAid.sized.jpg

Doom First Aid Pack
new_classic_doom_item_medpa.gif

First Aid and Healing is one of the things that the Red Cross does in real life.
And some times, the red cross is getting involved in violent areas.
I have yet to see a video game show the symbol of a red cross meaning any thing else but health or first aid or healing. So I don't see their problem.

Then again, the Red Cross as been know to be up themselves as they only recently (like in the last few month) begun to regonised the Red Shield Of David as being part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.

Over all, I think the Red Cross is trying to create a legal can of worms. Just like how World Wildlife Fund did with World Wrestling Federation to do the case of mistake idenity over the letters of WWF.

The red cross is a universal symbol that means "life". It only makes sense to have healing equipment marked with the red cross in violent circumstances. If a person gets injured they need to know where they can be treated, that is why medical equipment and medics carry the red cross. It is also meant so that anybody can understand who that person is or what that object is for reguardless of language. To have a group to try and lay claim to that as a part of their orginization is ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cross_(symbol)

As you can see Red Cross was set up for the Geneva Conventions, video games do not conflict with the geneva conventions as for they are fictional. Unless you can prove that it screws with the any of the Geneva Convention's laws (which it can't) it can not be considered "misuse". An example of misuse of the emblem in real life is having a truck marked with the red cross but using it to transport armed soldiers. If this is done in the video game since it breaks none of the Geneva's laws they can not take any legal action.

+™

Effectively it means they are trying trademark it.

+™

Good Luck of them for trying?

it would be nice if the red cross would give some examples of games that they have taken offence to. It not like they are dealing with the most hippy-dippy nice people all over the world. Some of the places that the red cross are getting sent into are violent too.
I don't think your typical red cross worker as a bar of soap handy to wash out people's mouths when some one swears at them.

Bet the Red Cross must be really ****ed off at all the math teachers who correct in red ink. :confused: This is probably more of a publicity garnering tactic than anything else. :rolleyes:

I didn't relize this was a problem either
---------------------------------------
medkit.jpg

Half-life 2 medkit

They're trying to stop the "mis-interprated" use of the red cross symbol from healing to........ healing.....?
Stupid red cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom