Recording gameplay 1080p60fps, better to use external ssd or hdd?

Boom123

Baseband Member
Hello,
I wish to start recording gameplay in 1080p 60fps to an external drive (internal in a caddy/enclosure) with usb 3.0. I keep reading a lot of mixed opinions some stating to use an ssd so as not to get a bottleneck, others stating to use a hdd because an ssd will burn out fast if used for daily recording, and is not really needed as a hdd can keep up. Which is true?

In case it makes a difference, my specs are:
i7 4790
nvidia gtx 980 ti 6gb ram
32 gb ram
240 gb ssd (boot)
4 tb 7,200 rpm hdd

The games will be stored and run on the 4 tb 7,200 hdd.

If the ssd is good, what size would be recommended? I don't plan on keeping the video on it, it will be moved to the 4tb hdd as soon as I'm done from that gaming session. (usually about 2 hours)

Thank you for any clarifications :)

SSD is only really required for lossless video recording, and no it won't burn out. That's the dumbest **** ever.

I guess the biggest question is, what are you using to record, what bitrate are you recording with, and what codec?

Hello,
thank you for your reply. I haven't started recording yet, I bought this new pc so I could start because my old laptop just wasn't managing (the games lag like crazy!). I was planning on suing OBS, Hypercam 3, or something that offers 1080p 60 fps. Any suggestions?

Well I mean Geforce Experience, Xplit, OBS, they will all do what you want. You can use a high bitrate that might border the need for an SSD but wouldn't make much sense if you're going to upload to Youtube.

Back
Top Bottom