Random Gaming News

So my roomate bought Defiance and likes it a lot

From what I've seen, it'll get old fast. There's no real story to it (in fact, the story is the TV show while the game is repeating fetch and defend quests).

I think it's a prime example of an awesome idea that will be a let-down because it was an ambitious project that was rushed out to meet deadlines.

Perhaps you are right i am waiting to see if he continues to like it.

So I got tixkets for Twins v Red Sox in may I really hope its freaking nice here by then this is the coldest snowiest crappiest april anyone remembers so I hope today being in the 60's is a sign of it getting better

Here's some "Why Didn't They Do That Sooner?" news for the day:

Gamasutra - News - You can now queue PlayStation downloads from your browser

You can now queue PlayStation downloads from your browser

Sony has finally added a long-awaited feature to its PlayStation Store -- the ability to queue downloads for your PS3 or PS Vita from a web browser.

The Download Queue feature allows users to select games to be downloaded for their consoles using the web-based PSN Store. These titles will then automatically be downloaded once the console is turned on, or during the PS3's nightly update if you have a PS Plus subscription.

Notably, this feature has been available for the Xbox 360 for quite some time, although the web-based PlayStation Store only went live at the end of 2012.

Here's some "Why Didn't They Do That Sooner?" news for the day:

Gamasutra - News - You can now queue PlayStation downloads from your browser

You can now queue PlayStation downloads from your browser

Sony has finally added a long-awaited feature to its PlayStation Store -- the ability to queue downloads for your PS3 or PS Vita from a web browser.

The Download Queue feature allows users to select games to be downloaded for their consoles using the web-based PSN Store. These titles will then automatically be downloaded once the console is turned on, or during the PS3's nightly update if you have a PS Plus subscription.

Notably, this feature has been available for the Xbox 360 for quite some time, although the web-based PlayStation Store only went live at the end of 2012.

I could care less about that I never go online and buy stuff from PSN. What I would really like though is a wish list on PSN that can be accesed from my console not just the web

Another day, another Xbox rumor. This is from Paul Thurrott who is deemed as a relatively reliable source. According to Mr. Paul, the next Xbox will require an always on internet connection, but it won't be as Draconian as everybody is making it out to be.

He also says that there will be two purchasing options. One for $499 and another for $299 with a two year subscription to Live at $10 per month. No word on whether there would be differences between the $499 and $299 versions. If there isn't a difference in hardware, the $299 version wirh a 2 year subscription would actually work out as the better deal.

There was talk of having a version that was for entertainment (streaming) puposes only, without game support, but this has been nixed for the time being.

The Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive. Sony says "Thanks for the royalties!"

The OS will be based on the "Core" version of Windows 8. This makes sense as Microsoft really wants people to adopt Windows 8, so integrating it into the next Xbox is a logical move from a corporate standpoint.

EDIT: I pulled this off of Paul's blog as I found it interesting:

Here Comes the Next Xbox | Paul Thurrotts WinInfo content from Windows IT Pro

Microsoft on Wednesday confirmed that the next Xbox video game console, code-named Durango, will be revealed to the public during a special event at its Redmond campus on May 21. That event will kick off a multi-event unveiling that will continue through June and culminate with the release of the device, which is expected in early November.

On March 28, I exclusively revealed via Twitter that Microsoft had changed the original reveal date for the next Xbox from April 24 to May 21. So yesterday's confirmation is interesting for two reasons, the least obvious of which is that the news came on April 24—the original date that the firm intended to reveal the next Xbox.

Related: "Microsoft Touts Xbox Momentum and Future"

Here's what I know about the next Xbox (along with some clearly identified conjecture).

Early announce. The initial reveal date was pushed back from April 24 to May 21 so that Microsoft could better position the device against the PlayStation 4, which Sony announced in late February.

Full (end user) announce. Microsoft will fully reveal details about the next Xbox, including the launch lineup of games, on the eve of the E3 tradeshow in early June 2013.

Developer announce? It appears that Microsoft will discuss the next Xbox developer platform at the Build conference in San Francisco in late June, based on clues on the Build website.

Launch. The next Xbox will launch in early November 2013.

Windows 8 Core. The next Xbox is based on the "Core" (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8. It also suggests that Microsoft could open up this platform to enthusiast developers. (That last bit is supposition on my part.)

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console: a standalone version for $499 and a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

No entertainment box. Microsoft originally planned to offer both a “full” version of the next Xbox (with video game playing capabilities) and a lower-end entertainment-oriented version, code-named “Yuma,” that didn't provide gaming capabilities. But plans for Yuma are on hold, and no pure entertainment version of the next Xbox will appear in 2013 (or possibly ever).

Blu-ray. The next Xbox will include a Blu-ray optical drive.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be Internet-connected to use. This is the source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn't as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Another Xbox 360. Microsoft will also deliver a third-generation Xbox 360 console this year that will be significantly less expensive than the current models. The new Xbox 360 is code-named “Stingray,” but it's not clear whether this device is required because the next Xbox isn't backward-compatible or because Microsoft simply wants a low-cost entertainment box alternative. (A third possibility—and to be clear, these possible reasons are all speculative—is that the Xbox 360 simply has life left in it and with dwindling component prices in the 8 years since the original launch, the firm can still make money selling such a device.)

There's a lot I don't know, of course. The name is a big area of speculation, and while I've heard nothing official, I'd be surprised if Microsoft didn't just called it Xbox. I've never seen the console, nor have any idea what it might look like. And in addition to the aforementioned confusion over backward compatibility and the apps platform, there are questions surrounding Kinect (which I understand is integrated and non-optional) and of course the fabled (and possibly imaginary) Xbox Surface tablet. We'll have to wait and see what Microsoft announces—or what it leaks—to find out more.

On that note, Microsoft's May event will be broadcast live via Xbox.com, over Xbox LIVE, and on Spike TV if you're in the United States or Canada.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom