Question on HD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
b1g, you could get one for $13 here. If you're getting other stuff from Newegg it might be better to just grab the one you picked. But if you're buying your stuff elsewhere, give that site a shot for your cables.

Thanks for the site. I might use it for future purchases. But I am getting other stuff, along with the cable. I would never buy the cable alone.

kids...hehe

ppl need to brief themselves on the tech and break it into separate parts...

the cabling really has nothing to do with the delivered format...

HD
720i/p
1080i/p

component connections or cabling can pass along "hd" content
component video can deliver all formats up to 1080p

the limitation, if considered one, is that it is an analog connection, although there is a digital component connection as well

hdmi/dvi is digital

analog vs digital - generally, with new tech being digital you want to avoid as many steps as possible from the source to the display. Hence the preference for the digital HD connections.

With the whole "HD" thing, they also tend to regulate only 1080 material via hdmi for the "protection". Not that component could not deliver it, but does not allow for any type of control.

That's easy to understand right? ;)

If not, think of it this way. 10 years ago(or more), when you had your svga monitor with specs of 1600x1200 and 200hz...it was not HD...eventhough it exceeded the specs of it. Why? Because it did not follow the rules of HD.

Even before HDdvd, BD, HDTV came about, you could play "High Definition" video on your PC, without the need for component, hdmi or dvi...and no hdcp needed. Technically, you were just playing high resolution video files...innocent to the coined term of "high def".

As for the WEGA, I'm not sure it can do HD, but maybe only ED....however it's component connection could deliver it.

So component can deliver 1080 content, but most likely will not be allowed to on the average consumer devices...all via the grace of regulation. :D

Well, I guess my TV is just plain ole' 480p then. I'm not too bummed, I bought it for $100 off craigslist and the picture quality and sheer 32" of size make it just incredible to play halo 3 on. Maybe the next TV I buy will have 1080i, HDMI capabilities, but for now I'm quite satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom