quad core

Status
Not open for further replies.
lots of people complain about the bugs on vista thats why windows has already started devoloping the next os windows 7
No i believe they want money.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL.

XP has bugs, but they've been ironed out through out the 3 service packs. While Vista does have bugs, but with the new Service Pack 1. It seems that some of the bugs have also been ironed out. If they make 32 bit OS of Windows 7, there will be a quite a few people on Tech-forums LOLing.

server 2008 64 bit. no bugs. better and just as fast as XP. nuff said.
vista may have bugs, but i have had less crashes with it than with XP.
i have found a grand total of ONE game that wont run on it...out of the 40 or so i own.
setting the affinity may change the load distribution, but it doesnt make programs multi-threaded.

I've got a Phenom 9950 OC'd right now (Minor OCing) with integrated graphics and one GPU and it runs awesome so far.. I game often but I've recently lost all of my Photog stuff due to my storage HD problem. :( :( But yeah, as far as what I've read on here, an OC'd dual core will out perform a fast Quad almost all the time.. -As far as gaming.. But technology is always advancing, so I figured I'd better get on board.

But I multi task a lot and I'm a photographer, so I run a lot of stuff at once so I need a computer that will react this fast.. All is good so far.. THis is exactly what I wanted, as far as response time when it comes to opening and running multiple applications. I fixed my crashing issues (knock on wood) and I'm 100% happy with this build...(the one in my sig... 2 weeks old)

No offense Antec. But if you are gaming....there isnt a need to have all that other stuff open. How much work can you get done having Photoshop, CoD4, Breowser and all that open when only 1 window will be on screen at any time.

Plus it isnt that a OC'd Dual Core will out perform a Quad. It is because for those types of applicaitons the Dual Core has a faster clock speed which makes it seem faster.

People dont realize that games, photoshop, browsers are all in essance single core software. They need to be SMP or Symetrical Multiprocessing applicaitons in order to make use of the multiple cores. None of them are.

Some games are better at using some of the other cores power. But none so far have been true SMP to take full advantage of Dual cores let alone Quads. When they get past this. Game speed will take off.

I shut almost everything down when I'm gaming.. But having dual monitors has left me quite spoiled.. LOL I keep my Email usually on my right monitor, and about 10 NET tabs open in FF3 (I'm a net junkie) and I'll sometimes have Photoshop CS3 running in the back ground to doctor up some of my pics.. Along with what ever else I'm doing.

This rig is running to my standards now.. :) FAST, INSTANT response and it runs games.. I had a Dual core before and it was an older 939 pin 4200 64X2 and it was a laggin SOB!!! It was about to get thrown in the pool.. But I think most of it was due to the older IDE HD and slower cache RAM. But I'm 100% happy w/ the performance of this rig!!! This is exactly what I needed..

This thing was soo slow before the build.. I'd have to open the email, go and take a shower, come back and gradually open the folders or it'd send me error messages.. But it was also a MICRO ATX board.. Low and LOCKED CPU power.

But I hear what you're saying, but I LOVE this rig for it's UbEr fast response to programs.. I'm not a 100% of the time gaming nut. Technology shouldn't be slow and there was no excuse for that slow POS I had before.

I'm planning on not getting a new CPU until Core i7 / Nehalem. No need to get a Core 2 quad now in terms of gaming. My older E6600 plays just about everything fine.

Havent read through the whole thread but heres my two P.

Quads are pretty cheap now so it would be wise to go for one. True a lot of games do not use all 4 cores yet, but the quad will simply be acting as a dual core when gaming. The slowest quad from intel is 2.4GHz. Now even if its acting as a 2.4GHz dual core in games that dont support full quad that doesnt exactly suck does it. By no means is a 2.4GHz dual core crap for gaming right now.

The only real programs that benefit from quad core are editing programs such as Photoshop, Sony Vegas, Illustrator etc... These see an improvement in performance.

And of course, you'll be prepared for the games that do come with quad support.

I remember the first time I ran a single core on two monitors.

Some thing like a P4 @ 3.0ghz I think. But only a 512 of ram total, I'm pretty sure quads could and will be optimized not only for games but multiple programs and the like. I mean, I definitely enjoy multitasking, but, I'm not much of a gamer anymore.

Bah. Quads are so cheap, it's insane I'll give them that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom