Plasma vs LCD vs HDTV? need some clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3llfir3

Solid State Member
Ok so im looking into getting a nice tv for playing xbox on but i dont kno quite what to buy. anyways i heard there are LCD tv's and Plasma tv's and HDTV's.

My questions are:

-Which is the best type of tv for gaming

-Is HDTV another type of tv or are plasma and LCD both HDTV's?

-Are there any other tv's even better for gaming than these ? if so plz share :) thanks

HDTV is just televisions that display HD (High Definition). Plasma and LCD tv's do just this.

You will get people into arguments asking them which one is better. Everyone has opinions. I personally stick with LCD's just because when I got my first one they were known to be better because plasma had burn in at that time. Now they really don't any more so that is of no concern.

You really cannot go wrong either way. If you really want to know a lot about TV's head over to avs forum. A lot of good information there about all kinds of TV's.

I currently own a Sony XBR3 46" and a Samsung LN40B640 model. The Samsung is a new model and I love it.

Some things to look for when purchasing:

-1080p resolution

-If you are gaming in a area that has a lot of natural sun light do not get a high gloss finish. Get a matte finish. If you are gaming in a area with no windows or no direct sun light that will reflect from the TV then consider the high gloss finish.

-Do not buy too big. Figure out where you sit from the TV and get some suggestions on size.

-(this is my opinion) Do not let people sale you on 120Hz right now. There is really no need for it. 60Hz is fine and it will save you a little cash.

HDTV is just televisions that display HD (High Definition). Plasma and LCD tv's do just this.

You will get people into arguments asking them which one is better. Everyone has opinions. I personally stick with LCD's just because when I got my first one they were known to be better because plasma had burn in at that time. Now they really don't any more so that is of no concern.

You really cannot go wrong either way. If you really want to know a lot about TV's head over to avs forum. A lot of good information there about all kinds of TV's.

I currently own a Sony XBR3 46" and a Samsung LN40B640 model. The Samsung is a new model and I love it.

Some things to look for when purchasing:

-1080p resolution

-If you are gaming in a area that has a lot of natural sun light do not get a high gloss finish. Get a matte finish. If you are gaming in a area with no windows or no direct sun light that will reflect from the TV then consider the high gloss finish.

-Do not buy too big. Figure out where you sit from the TV and get some suggestions on size.

-(this is my opinion) Do not let people sale you on 120Hz right now. There is really no need for it. 60Hz is fine and it will save you a little cash.

thanks for the info :p also wat is a DLP tv?

thanks for the info :p also wat is a DLP tv?

A thing of the past! LOL

But no it's just an older format that isn't going to stick around much longer. DLP is another format of HDTV. It uses mirrors. It has a great picture if you are right smack in front of the TV but if you are 45 degree's left or right the image becomes hard to see. Not worth it. I use to own a huge DLP TV. Sold it long time ago and don't miss it one bit.

Also look into the new L.E.D. tv's.They have a beautiful picture but a little more expensive then LCD or Plasma's.

A lot more. They aren't worth it at the moment unless you're rich.

As far as plasma vs lcd, it all depends on what room it's gonna be in. If the room has a lot of sunlight, get lcd, if the room is dark when you're playing games/watching tv whatever, buy plasma hands down. Plasma will give much richer colors than a comparable LCD in the dark, but LCD's are backlit so they don't reflect sunlight or give glare so they look better in bright situations. other than that, chad gave some good pointers, one thing is if you're on a bit of a budget, then you won't need to go for 1080p because the 360 can only support 720p/1080i and 1080i is crap/just a cheap way to try and make the consumer think it's 1080p when in reality it's not, it's just a 720p picture upscaled, not native 1080p. Also as chad mentioned, don't buy too big, also know that if you're looking at a tv in a store, it's gonna look a lot bigger when you bring it home due to the open spaces of the store. So measure how much space you have, know how far away you'll be from the TV when your using it, and with a bit of knowledge on your end you should be able to walk into Best Buy and maybe *cringes* someone can help you out and get the tv that's right for you.

If you don't wanna go to Best Buy if you answer those questions then we/I can help you out in getting the right tv for you, or at least a better idea of what you should be looking at for TV's

I agree LED isn't worth it. Just wait for it to drop in price like LCD and Plasma did.

Hey Peter who told you 360 doesn't support 1080p? It does. I have an Elite that supports 1080p. Also many of the games for the 360 are 1080p.

umm, the biggest LED tv is some odd 50" and only $2400 but you can find it for less on deals. The smaller one, which is still fairly frikkin huge(dont remember just how) is only $1200-$1600 i think depending on deals, again. There are only 3 LED tvs on the market by samsung, 3 sizes
Go with LED, it truly is the best thing out therem, well that u can find at a best buy anyway. Price isnt gona go much lower on those thangs anytime soon but at least u can say u have one of the first. Its not a sure thing LEDs are gona take off anyway since hardly anyone knows about them. 7 out of 10 people u ask probably never heard of em and remember when lcds and plasmas came out everyone and their mom knew instantly. funny.

edit: ok, so maybe I was wrong. about two months ago I went in to a best buy to look at these and was told by a sales rep there that there were only 3 sizes on the market from samsung. When I looked at the prices, the smallest one was indeed something under $1600 I remember that deal coz it was my budget. Didnt buy it coz thats not what I saved that money for and couldnt bring myself to be impulsive. The biggest one I remember was $2400. I just checked out samsung's sight and I'm kinda amazed right now at the price tag. Idk what kind of deal I mustve missed at BB. the one time I shouldve been impulsive darnett

Unless you are willing to spend an incredible amount of money on a TV, stay away from LED and go with a nice LCD or plasma. The left over funds could go towards a nice blu-ray player or something else to add to the entertainment area.

Go to the store and look at the TV yourself. Make sure it's hooked directly to a High def source when you're demoing it.

IMO, plasmas are better than LCDs for pretty much everything except being used as a computer monitor. They offer more vivid colors, better detail in the black areas, and they're priced pretty closely to LCDs.

As for 1080p vs 720p.. Unless you're getting a TV that's around 46" or larger, you probably won't be able to notice the difference between 1080p and 720p unless you're sitting extremely close to it. Go to the store and look at two TVs from the same manufacturer, one having 720p and the other 1080p and make the decision for yourself... That is basically the best advice that I can give you. Sure you should do a little research and make sure that the model that you're getting isn't a lemon, but in the end you need to go and look at them in person before purchasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom