Plasma vs LCD vs HDTV? need some clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let me rephrase my statement about 1080p and the Xbox 360. There are EXTREMELY FEW games that are 1080P. Why's that? Because standard dvd's cannot hold enough data on them to play back in 1080p. 1080i and 1080p are extremely different, 1080i is upscaled 720p and 1080p is native. There are a few games that are 1080p for the xbox. They include:
Wolf of the Battlefield Commando 3
Feeding Frenzy 2 [Xbox Live Arcade]
Portal [Xbox Live Arcade]
Boogie Bunnies [Xbox Live Arcade]
Street Home Court
Virtual Tennis 3

All major games play in 1080i not 1080p, and there's a huge difference between the two. Just because your 360 has HDMI doesn't mean all your games are magically 1080p. HDMI can upscale 720p to 1080i to make the picture appear better, but it really isn't.

1080i and 1080p are extremely different, 1080i is upscaled 720p and 1080p is native..
Incorrect. The i in 1080i stands for interlaced. The images are still coming through at 1920x1080, but it shows the odd lines on the TV first and then goes back and displays the even lines on the second pass.

The p in 1080p stands for progressive scan. This means that all of the lines of the TV are displayed in a single pass which makes the image much smoother and cleaner looking.

There are many games that actually are 1080p Peter. I have 10 games and 9 of them are 1080p.

Forza 2 is the only game that isn't 1080p in my list.

Race Pro
COD WaW
Madden 09
Rainbow Six Vegas2
GoW 2
GH2
Halo 3
NHL 09
COD4

all 1080p.

Been out of the loop buddy? ;)

Plasma all the way (Pioneer Kuro 50" here, used to have a top of the range Panasonic Viera, also great for the price) - but avoid the cheap plasmas like the plague.

There are many games that actually are 1080p Peter. I have 10 games and 9 of them are 1080p.

Forza 2 is the only game that isn't 1080p in my list.

Race Pro
COD WaW
Madden 09
Rainbow Six Vegas2
GoW 2
GH2
Halo 3
NHL 09
COD4

all 1080p.

Been out of the loop buddy? ;)

Oh wow you really beleive what it says on the back of the box ? haha..

if you visit a gaming site like n4g.com you would see the amount of times these 1080p and 720p games have been found to run at resolutions quite a bit less than stated. They are merely scaled to 1080p and 720p.

Around only 1/2 of "1080P" games actually run at genuine 1080p.

I am going to have to disagree with the majority of you here, LCD's can look just as good if not better than Plasma's in every aspect expect black reproduction. LED TV's are far superior to both LCD and Plasma because they produce true blacks as they can turn off individiual pixels to make them 100percent black. Colours are also brighter and more vivid.

It depends how much you care i guess, some of my less techy friends swear blind they cannot even tell the difference between SD and HD and the ones that can don't think it's at all worth it.

Oh wow you really beleive what it says on the back of the box ? haha..

if you visit a gaming site like n4g.com you would see the amount of times these 1080p and 720p games have been found to run at resolutions quite a bit less than stated. They are merely scaled to 1080p and 720p.

Any game that states it is 1080p, is 1080p. So yes if it states it on the back of the box it is. What you may have read is that some games that come in other formats then just one are some times optimized for a certain resolution. For instance SOCOM on Ps3 is optimized for 720p but will support 1080p. This doesn't mean it's not really 1080p or not capable of displaying that resolution. As a matter of fact if something supports a resolution or doesn't my TV is going to be able to tell me does or doesn't. To think that these companies can just slap 1080p support on the back of the box and not really support it is just silly to even think. That is like saying that can slap "Up to 4 players co-op" and it's a single player campaign...or the LCD I just bought that supports 1080p only supports 1080i or 720p :rolleyes:

Any new LCD will be able to display your 360 nicely whether it be HDMI or component (HDMI if the tv is 1080p)

Perhaps look at some samsungs if youre on a strict budget as they are fairly cheap and give you a nice picture, however they can be a bit poor on sound.

Where LED tvs are concerned, they do look fantastic in HD and will well be worth it when the hype dies a bit and the price goes down so if you are willing to stick around a bit then go for one of those to keep you going for a good few years

Any game that states it is 1080p, is 1080p. So yes if it states it on the back of the box it is. What you may have read is that some games that come in other formats then just one are some times optimized for a certain resolution. For instance SOCOM on Ps3 is optimized for 720p but will support 1080p. This doesn't mean it's not really 1080p or not capable of displaying that resolution. As a matter of fact if something supports a resolution or doesn't my TV is going to be able to tell me does or doesn't. To think that these companies can just slap 1080p support on the back of the box and not really support it is just silly to even think. That is like saying that can slap "Up to 4 players co-op" and it's a single player campaign...or the LCD I just bought that supports 1080p only supports 1080i or 720p :rolleyes:

No this is my exact point. The claims on the back of the box's are often wrong and lieing

Halo 3 has quickly come under fire for disc-read errors and scratched discs, but now some tech heads on the Beyond 3D forums have found what they believe to be evidence that the quintessential game of Microsoft's 'all games in HD' console runs natively at a paltry 640p -- not 720p, not HD* -- and then upscales.

How did they come to this conclusion, you ask? By counting pixels. (Is this what we've come to as gaming enthusiasts -- measuring a game's visual fidelity with spyglass in hand?) ... Remember when we just played games?

Still, if true, Halo 3 would not be the first Xbox 360 game to compromise resolution for performance. Perfect Dark Zero also runs at 640p, and it's well known that Bizarre Creations dropped Project Gotham Racing 3 even lower, to just 600p, in order to achieve an acceptable frame rate. But this is Halo 3, and if you press your ear to the screen you can already hear the snarling internet mobs gathering up their pitchforks and nooses.

[*Note: We define "HD" as a resolution no less than 1280x720 pixels. According to the source, Halo 3 has a native resolution of 1138x640 pixels.]

See ? You cannot simply run a game at any resolution and just upscale it to 720p/1080p and slap that on the back of a box. That is like saying Upscaled DVD's are the same as Blu-Ray - they look nothing like as good.

No this is my exact point. The claims on the back of the box's are often wrong and lieing

I highly doubt that this is true. Do you have any proof to back up your claims? If it were to be true, MS, along with the game manufacturers at fault, would probably already be getting sued over this. You simply cannot put false information on a product's packaging.

LCD:
- best for gaming
- best if you're gonna watch TV in a room with a lot of light, because the screen don't reflect as much light as a plasma TV.
- don't use as much electricity as a plasma TV.

Plasma:
- Good for heating (yes, they get really warm)
- good showing black areas.
- good colors
- best for movies (because of colors and black areas)

Today there is little difference in LCD and Plasma because both technologies have improved their weaknesses.

I'm waiting for the cost of LEDs to drop. LED-TVs are LCD-TVs but with many small LEDs giving light to the screen. That's why they are so much thinner than LCDs. They also have better black areas because the LEDs can be completly shut of in the areas where it's 100% black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom