Piracy for Indie Games is Through the Roof

The fact that it is illegal in most parts of the world - is good enough for me to stay away from piracy.

I'd like to keep my job, savings, and criminal record clean.

Besides- who needs pirating when there is Let's Play videos for dang near every game.
Watching a video to most (myself including) is nowhere near the same as playing the game.

THe likelihood of actually having anything done after downloading terabytes of data (be it movies, games, whatever) is slim to none. I'm not justifying it, but if you have a VPN or better yet a seedbox then none of the US ISPs will know what you're up to. US agencies are only after the guys who leak, crack the leaks, and upload the original content which gets spread quickly over the swarm. Not the common downloaders.
You just can't be an idiot like a friend of mine who got sued by our ISP because he was downloading 20-30 movies off TPB at a time and never stopped. Then he would constantly call complaining about his speed. :rolleyes:

IMO, Piracy for indie gamers can be a GREAT way to actually get started. If a starting developer wants to get a game out there and make a name for himself... he can distribute it for free over P2P sites, and have little NFO included (or credit screen in the game itself) stating if they liked it, they can donate or buy a copy to help start it out. Or even a "pay what you want" like Humble Bundle, or even bands / some movies (Loius C.K. did this with one of his stand up shows as well).

I agree, but I wouldn't call that piracy. That's perfectly legal.

I don't understand why sailing the high seas in search of booty and bootaaay is forbidden to discuss here. I can say from personal pirating experience that it is an enjoyable lifestyle as long as you avoid the blasted navy.

Pro pirating tip: pack ample citrus fruit and rum on your journey for a good, scurvy-free time!

I don't understand why sailing the high seas in search of booty and bootaaay is forbidden to discuss here. I can say from personal pirating experience that it is an enjoyable lifestyle as long as you avoid the blasted navy.

Pro pirating tip: pack ample citrus fruit and rum on your journey for a good, scurvy-free time!

And the Coast Guard my Parrot hates them. I stoped in at Pirates r Us the other day and got this Awesome peg Leg Flask for Rum its sweet

Packing is for the deckhands, I have them scurry 'round and gather me rum. I'm too busy swashbuckling.

I'm not surprised that piracy for indie games is up. Right now is a GREAT time for indie devs. There's been a big push for indie games and content and I think it really got crazy when Castle Crashers came out for XBLA a few years back.

I've seen a rise in demand for indie games thanks to XBLA, PSN, Steam, Humble Bundle and others.

Back
Top Bottom