PC vs PS3. The 'real' difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
I know; a PC is not (innately) a "gaming machine"...A PS3 is..etc etc...

But I was just wondering what the "real" difference would be [if you have a decent PC...(enough RAM, graphics card etc...)] and, let's say, a gaming pad (Logitech Rumblepad 2, for example; almost identical to a PS3 controller (in shape/layout etc...)..is wireless..has vibration feedback..etc...)

(Let's ignore the fact that some games never make it to PC for now)

Thanks!

Rawan

A decently equipped PC will stomp a PS3, hands down. It would be personal preference to use any type of game pad; personally, I like the greater degree of control that using a keyboard and mouse affords.

Even low end buyers don't buy hardware as weak as that in either of the gaming consoles anymore. They're too old.

PC has better graphics with the right hardware. If you choose to use a controller with the PC lets say for racing games, the 360 controller is best as drivers come with windows 7. There are a few exclusives I would like for the PS3 but gaming on a PC is better then having those few exclusives.

Even low end buyers don't buy hardware as weak as that in either of the gaming consoles anymore. They're too old.

This, for the most part, at least...

The reason why a PS3/Xbox360 can play new games with good detail, and smooth animations is because they're built for those consoles. Put that game on a PC, and you see the negative effects of a poor PC port, that's not well optimized. Get a game that's built separately for each system, and are well optimized, the PC and PS3/Xbox360 are on the same playing field. Most likely the PC will make that game look SOOO much better, due to the added bonus of what the GPU is capable of, such as AA, AF, ect. ect.

One thing, even with 1080p HDTV's pc's with larger screens still have a much higher resolution, and will need more resources to display the same quality image, which makes consoles perfect for some.

But for others, after a few years, they can play the same games if ported properly on there PC, and still use the console controllers on the PC.

It all boils down to, do I really wanna spend $400-$600 on a console or spend that cash on a few upgrades every generation so I can play the games on a PC.

Though, some console games will never be ported to PC. :(

Or you could rub dirt in the PS3's wounds and use the Xbox controller receiver for PC's.

wit ha easy software download the ps3 controller works with a pc. i have done it myself and use it for some old games i play and junk. i am myself an xbox fanboy( i own both and bought ff13 on 360 to rub it in to my brother lol). but to me the ps3 controler on the pc is a much better alternative. if you own a ps3 it costs you nothing to use your controller on the comp. where as if you own a 360 you have to go buy the receiver.

This, for the most part, at least...

The reason why a PS3/Xbox360 can play new games with good detail, and smooth animations is because they're built for those consoles. Put that game on a PC, and you see the negative effects of a poor PC port, that's not well optimized. Get a game that's built separately for each system, and are well optimized, the PC and PS3/Xbox360 are on the same playing field. Most likely the PC will make that game look SOOO much better, due to the added bonus of what the GPU is capable of, such as AA, AF, ect. ect.
not to mention games on the console will run less foliage like tree's grass bushes. in gta a perfect example of this is cars and ai units. pc games have a farther view distance, and higher resolution textures before you even apply any aa. the console versions of any game on the 3 platforms will usualy have a lighter scaled down engine. so to me it isnt really game optimization when you compare how scaled down some games are. go to www.gamespot.com they have many many links and articles comparing all new released tittles on all 3 platforms. the pc is always ahead graphically in every tittle.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6202552/index.html is the specific article and those are oldish articles. with the new hardware that has come out since then pc's have actually gained even more of a gap over the consoles on newer tittles. this also has to do with direct x 11 where as the consoles will never have the ability to do so until they release a newer version.

If you want the ps3 exclusives, then just get a pc and a console if your budget allows. A ps3 is cheap, $300. You're gonna spend that on your graphics card alone if you're going for a high-end machine.

And, poizen, what do you mean by easy driver dl? Are you not using 64 bit? I know the 32 bit is easy, but for those of us using 64 bit, which is most of us, it is kind of complicated. I couldn't even get them to work. I had someone else do it for me. Then I had to format and I haven't reinstalled them because I don't feel like going through the headache again.

im on 64 bit vista there was some trickery to it, but there is a very good tutorial on youtube that got it working for me, there is one guy who does it in windows 7 and assumes itl work on vista but it doesnt go look for the vista specific tutorial, there is a few steps he has that can be skipped like you dont need to turn off the driver enforcement till you actually decide to use the software but other then that it didnt take me anymore then an hours time, and considering i make 10$ an hour and the receiver being about 30/40$ here i apreciated getting my ps3 controler to work on my pc with just an hours time invested :D. ps3 good machine but the xbox will always have my heart as far as consoles go. the fact microsoft has put out 2 quality racing sims (forza 2 and 3) before sony has even put out gran turismo 5 is quite bothering to me. but being a true gamer every platform except maybe the wii and i am exagerating as teh wii does have a few tittles i like, but what i mean to say is every platform on the market right now sadly has a multiple must have tittles out there for me. i cant get away from the pc mmo gaming, and when i had the horsepower in my rig i loved playing my fps games on it, the ps3 has man awsome games mgs4 was worth the purchase for me alone not to mention the yet to be announced kingdom hearts 3 wich will one day come but isnt here yet and many more tittles to mention, the 360 has halo and mass effect that i cannot go with out but then again is available to my pc wich i no longer have (r.i.p.). when your choosing a platform to game on consider where you are going to have more fun per $$$. we are in a rough time economy wise and things can be expensive, if your into mmo gaming then 300$ a year to play a game that is always coming out with content like lineage 2 everquest 2 lotro online or wow you cant go wrong is thats your thing. the ps3 and 360 have lots of fun tittles yet your shelling out about 80$ a purchase per tittle after taxes, and finaly if you look at the pc you shell out alot on hardware and spend about 50/40$ per tittle, and if you go the steam route and buy games a month or so after release you can get them sometimes for as cheap as 10$.

it is a tough choice indeed but if you are looking the only thing i can recomend is looking at what you want to play and how much your willing to pay, try and make a checklist. right now i am fully entertained with 150$ a year to play wow with no need to upgrade hardware or purchase any new games, except about every 2/3 years when an expansion releases. either way look up some games you want to play more and the money you want to spend. these decisions will always be more important then the brand you want to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom