Oblivion Framerates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khann

In Runtime
Got my computer a month or so back now, and just had the change to get Oblivion up and running. I find that if I put all the graphics details to max, I tend to get about 25-30 FPS. Now this is playable, but I'd much rather be running at about 40-50. Could the problem here be my CPU? The significant amount of AI in Oblivion would really bog down my CPU wouldn't it? Also, could my RAM be a problem here? It's fairly low quality RAM, so it could be an issue. Or is it quite simply the fact that my graphics card cannot handle Oblivion on Max detail? I've read somewhere that with the 7900GT it's recommended to turn shadows down a fair bit, so I'll try that after I post this.

:)

More or less, it would be your CPU, but that's only because you have a very nice GPU. I've got the same CPU (only S939, and NewCastle core), and it is higher than the "recommended requirements" for CPU speed.

For the record, i usually get 28-30 FPS outside, and 55-60 in menus. If there's a big fight (ie. lots of people) it has gotten down to about 10FPS.

Your CPU is fine, with todays games the effect of the CPU is minor compared to the graphics card. The truth is that the 7900GT isn't really that great for Oblivion. Add a second for SLI and you will be in business. Otherwise, just turn down the settings or play Oblivion on the 360 where it actually runs decent.

Wow, their recommendation is atleast a 6800, I wonder how well it would run on my computer, I'd probably not even be close...

Usually the recommended requirements are sufficient for 1024x768 resolution low/medium settings at a playable framerate. Thats not even close to maxed out with Oblivion. As somebody above said, you need 2 7900GT SLI to play Oblivion max.

To the guy who has the X800XT, Oblivion is a SM3 game, so you dont get features like HDR and parallax mapping that are real demanding on the system.

I had to play oblivion on such low settings I had to download Oldoblivion so I could use the 2.0 shaders (at the time I had a 9250).. sad part was I finished it on that. Then when I upgraded (wouldnt call it an upgrade.. maybe a switch) to an fx5200 it wouldnt even run either.

Be happy with what graphic settings your card can handle, theres always people out their that cant even run windows XP :p

I get around 20 FPS in grassy areas due to all of the freaking grass, I need to lower grass distance and maybe remove my retarded canopy shadows for forests. Other then that I have grass shadows as well as my own shadows (only while I am in 1st person mode) turned off, rest of my graphics are pretty high set.

Anyways, about 20 outside in the wilderness, and if I get into an area with alot of grass it can spiral to 15, while I am in town or indoors max I can get to is 60 and lowest about 45 or so.

To truly max it out you would probably need twin X1900s in Xfire, because only the X1800 and X1900 cards can render HDR with AA. Not to mention that ATI cards run Oblivion better then Nvidia cards comparible to how Nvidia runs better on the Doom engine.

Well I've played it on my 360 and on a rig with a single core 4000+ @ 2.6GHz and a 7900 GT and they both play well. Although on the computer the FPS always takes a hit when fighting outdoors but gets around 40-60 fps indoors. The 360 does have some FPS drops but that is mainly due to the "loading area" spots which isn't too surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom