Nintendo Switch - Will it work?

lastplace09

Fully Optimized
I thought the Switch was worthy of a new thread.

I'm seeing a lot of hate for this thing, but here is why I gobbled up a preorder...

It's a cool piece of tech - it's a console and a handheld! And those controllers are filled with interesting tech. I'm at the point where this might be far more interesting to me than VR.

It's Skyrim and Zelda on a handheld - Skyrim on the Switch might not be the best version, but if the vita taught me anything, it was that sometimes a handheld version of a game IS better than the console.

The price is right - not only did I have trade in credit, but the system itself, was priced in the sweet spot imo. The accessories are ridiculous though for sure.

The gimmicks are fun and digestible - 1 2 Switch looks like a modified Wario Ware game and it doesn't require you to look at the screen. It's kind of like a board game night! That snipperclips game looks very cool and the kind of game I can play with filthy casuals.

It can play normal games too - Gimmicks are great, but Splatoon and MARIO kart aren't just good Nintendo games--they are phenomenal video games.

Portability - I totally see this coming with me to a holiday family thing. 1 2 Switch with a bunch of drunken relatives sounds way more interesting to me than awkwardly hanging out.

All in all, there's plenty here for me to like. There are plenty of downsides to this thing, but we all have to weigh the return on investment here for ANY console. ;-)

What interests you'se guys about the Switch?

I thought the Switch was worthy of a new thread.

I'm seeing a lot of hate for this thing, but here is why I gobbled up a preorder...

It's a cool piece of tech - it's a console and a handheld! And those controllers are filled with interesting tech. I'm at the point where this might be far more interesting to me than VR.

It's Skyrim and Zelda on a handheld - Skyrim on the Switch might not be the best version, but if the vita taught me anything, it was that sometimes a handheld version of a game IS better than the console.

The price is right - not only did I have trade in credit, but the system itself, was priced in the sweet spot imo. The accessories are ridiculous though for sure.

The gimmicks are fun and digestible - 1 2 Switch looks like a modified Wario Ware game and it doesn't require you to look at the screen. It's kind of like a board game night! That snipperclips game looks very cool and the kind of game I can play with filthy casuals.

It can play normal games too - Gimmicks are great, but Splatoon and MARIO kart aren't just good Nintendo games--they are phenomenal video games.

Portability - I totally see this coming with me to a holiday family thing. 1 2 Switch with a bunch of drunken relatives sounds way more interesting to me than awkwardly hanging out.

All in all, there's plenty here for me to like. There are plenty of downsides to this thing, but we all have to weigh the return on investment here for ANY console. ;-)

What interests you'se guys about the Switch?
I do think it'd be nice as something to take along when visiting family. Especially my in laws who seem to watch almost nothing but news channels while we're over.

I don't hate Nintendo. I want to see them succeed. There's just a lot of things that make me pause when considering buying a switch.

The launch line up is abysmal. 4 games. Only 2 are Nintendo games and one of those is coming out on the wiiu the same day. That leaves us with 1 2 switch. A game that should have been a pack in like Wii sports.

The tech looks cool but think back to all the things you thought were possible when the showed off the original Wii tech. How many of those things came to fruition?

And of course Nintendo's biggest Achilles heel 3rd party support. Granted people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games, but some variety in software is nice. Sure we got EA and some other folks come on stage to say they're supporting it but they didn't even come with any gameplay footage.

I did get in an order for that Zelda special edition but I don't think I'm going to buy the system yet. Of course like always I'll probably flip flop until release day and end up buying it anyway.

Tablet more interesting than VR? Guessing you didn't take your friend's advice.

On that note, I'm buying one but for only one reason. I don't think this is the way to go and I believe it'll probably flop. Parents will gobble them up for the kids but they'll just go back to their other tablets due to the large amount of content available. Most hardcore Nintendo people will buy them. The rest? Doubltful. There's nothing that makes it more appealing than the going out Wii U. It's just an Nvidia shield with a Nintendo OS. I expect the same amount of units shipped as the Wii U.

Tablet more interesting than VR? Guessing you didn't take your friend's advice.

It is more interesting, at least to me.

It's a Nintendo handheld console that plays on a big screen. It means wireless, fun and unique ways to play. Also, it's a grab and go experience...(Which is why I prefer gaming on consoles even if they are underpowered)

VR is unique, but it also means lots of cables and calibrating and set up time. It also means a risk of losing my lunch due to motion sickness.

I think BOTH are very cool gimmicks, but at my age, I really feel like the Switch is the answer I was looking for.

It is more interesting, at least to me.

It's a Nintendo handheld console that plays on a big screen. It means wireless, fun and unique ways to play. Also, it's a grab and go experience...(Which is why I prefer gaming on consoles even if they are underpowered)

VR is unique, but it also means lots of cables and calibrating and set up time. It also means a risk of losing my lunch due to motion sickness.

I think BOTH are very cool gimmicks, but at my age, I really feel like the Switch is the answer I was looking for.
Already have tablets for that which have a bigger library to chose from. They also come with more battery life, higher resolution screen, and sometimes don't cost as much.

99% of the people who think they will get motion sickness from the consumer HMDs don't. I have thousands of people come into my lab and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "I get motion sickness easily" but I've never had a single person actually feel sick after 10-15 minutes of playtime. The VIve now also has a wireless device, and setup time for both is less than 5 minutes.

Being able to play Zelda on the go has it's merits though. Like, I'll actually be able to properly sit down and play some Nintendo games because I can play them at work without kid distraction.

Apparently the switch version of Zelda people have been playing has texture and frame rate issues. I understand it's not a finished build, but that's worrying. I wonder if Nintendo is adopting the release now patch later mentality of game releases along with paid online.

Apparently the switch version of Zelda people have been playing has texture and frame rate issues. I understand it's not a finished build, but that's worrying. I wonder if Nintendo is adopting the release now patch later mentality of game releases along with paid online.
Probably has to due with the throttling of the GPU when in mobile mode. It's to be expected, sadly.

Probably has to due with the throttling of the GPU when in mobile mode. It's to be expected, sadly.

And if it didnt do this it might perform better... but the battery life would be 30 minutes lol

Would make sense though if the game itself had different graphic setting profiles it switches between... that way when it is using battery the game isn't trying to do what it would normally do with less power. Maybe make the render distance a bit less, or reduce the resolution of textures, or reduce shadows automatically when on battery power..

I dont see that happening though. They'll ship with framerate problems most likely in an attempt to preserve the consistency of visual fidelity.

Last edited:
Forbes has an article about the added costs of the switch. I think I'm just going to back off of it until there's a pack in, expanded memory, or an XL model which looking at this thing closer it really needs.

And if it didnt do this it might perform better... but the battery life would be 30 minutes lol

Would make sense though if the game itself had different graphic setting profiles it switches between... that way when it is using battery the game isn't trying to do what it would normally do with less power. Maybe make the render distance a bit less, or reduce the resolution of textures, or reduce shadows automatically when on battery power..

I dont see that happening though. They'll ship with framerate problems most likely in an attempt to preserve the consistency of visual fidelity.
Not really. The Tegra inside of it isn't that much more powerful than your average Mali/Snapdragon setup in an Android tablet.

Back
Top Bottom